Heater box in wheel arch.

Just a thought – I have a spare heater box and wondered if it would be possible to fit it into the wheel arch of my 90 with a grill cut and vent fitted to the inside and teed into to original heater. Just thought that this would be a good way to feed hot air to the back if required or would it just be a lot of work for very little benefit.

Happy new year to all – sadly I am stuck at work :( so the brain is just ticking over with things that I could do – sad I know but well ---------------------- ;)

Frax

Wouldn't you suffer from natural heat dispersal from copper pipes length or rubber type. As for flow you would need a pump because strength of power of the water pump. Unless you have a smaller heater box maybe half size and a narrow in feed to create pressure. Please someone slap me down here :unsure::blink: I was thinking of a self contained unit that might work. I like the idea of the military arctic heater for my 110 mobile greenhouse. :lol: :lol: :( With the hoses running off. I have a 300watt truck heater that i have adapted to rear air dimister.

Well I did not consider pump performance but this would need to be looked at. Loss of heat through the run would not be a problem as can always be insulated, as for the heater the plan would have been to use one from a 2 ¼ petrol which I have laying about. Don’t know if that is the same as the one already fitted as I have a 300tdi 90.

Thought it might fit at the front of the back passenger wheel which would give the shortest run of pipe. I would not plan on using it a lot but it would be handy at this time of the year for drying of the dogs after a shoot day.

Frax :huh:

Don't see why it couldn't work really, pipework would want to be as short and straight as possible to help with bleeding it and for thermal retention. I would be surprised if it didn't need a pump to work effectively, and it's probably the best option to have a separate parallel heater loop with the pump drawing off before the other heater (i.e. where it comes out of the head at the rear). With any luck your engine can produce enough heat to satisfy the needs of both matrices :P

The other option would be a fuel-burning air heater (Eberspacher/Webasto type thing), also referred to as a night heater sometimes. This would just require a 12V supply and some fuel, and would certainly kick out some heat.

Like the idea of using a heater box though, by 2 1/4 petrol do you mean a Series heater box? They weren't know for their performance if I'm honest, but it would be easy enough to rig a bigger fan (bilge pump fan like Ruuman's heater mod) to up it's performance. Just as long as the matrix was in good enough nick.

The heater came from a petrol Defender - looks about the same size as the 300tdi one I have.

Frax :unsure:

AFAIK, all 90/110/Defender heaters are the same shape/matrix except for the latest Tdci vehicles & the orientation of the matrix stub pipes.