Rear wash

digiboy

I have a TD4 commercial on a 52 plate.

My rear washer has never worked since I bought the vehicle, I've checked fuses etc so assume it's the pump.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the thing, which I assume is on the bottom of the washer bottle in the wing?

Seems like a bumper/wing off job?

Happy New Year to all!

I'd definitely say it's a bumoer off job.

Attached below is a picture of the bottle in situ on mine, and I can't see how you'd get to it any other way.

post-1323-037314400 1294169280_thumb.jpg

Really helpful piccy Darren - thanks!

I thought it would be further back - so bumper off when it stops pissing it down - that should be fun!

Hopefully it's a bum connection as I found that the inner access cover was missing under the wheel arch and the whole thing was full of muck.

Good to clear that out anyway.

Did you have a bit of a shunt with yours - hence the bumper removal?

Regards

Phil.

Well I managed to strip the bumper off and check out the rear wash pump. It did have a loose connection which was easily fixed, but still no wash reaching the back screen.

So I got an airline on to it and tried to clear any blockage - 100psi wouldn't force anything through!

I even took off the rear wheel carrier to access the connector at the back, all clear there.

I occurs to me that there may be some sort of no return valve in there to stop the liquid syphoning or running back.

Any ideas?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the diagram - very helpful!

Yes the non return is at the back inside the centre of the wheel carrier wher the hose meets the rear wiper arm. I saw it and tested it - but thought it was a fancy joint! Water/air passes that fine, I tested it not connected anyway.

So it means a kink or blockage is in the harder pipe that is in with the wireing loom, nightmare to strip that out so I think I'll just keep a rag and a bottle of water with me!

Would have been so much easier to put a bottle in the back door to feed the back screen rather than 12ft of hidden hose!

Cheers!