Ome shock snapped !!!!!

Hi all

I brought a set of OME shocks brand new about 5 months ago they have covered 2000 miles road use and no off road use !!!

The eye has just snapped clean off one of the rear ones whilst going round a corner !!!!!

I have heard of pro comps doing this but ome ??

I brought ome as I thought they were the best and it was worth paying out for them !!!!

Please tell me am I just unlucky or has this happened to others

Many thanks

Chris

What Pete said.

Unless you have a very rare defective OME product, my money is also on the dished washer being on the wrong way round. If it is flat side in, when you tighten the nut up fully, the washer stops the eye of the shock from being able to rotate from side to side as the axle articulates. Result is bending stresses in the rod to eye weld that cause the weld to fail.

To be honest, it is the only way your shock could have failed in such a short period of road work unless it was really badly made and I would be surprised if that would have escaped OME's quality control.... but there is always a first.

Hi guys

Thinking about the washer problem, the washer is like the shape of a dish I am guessing the

Inside of the dish fits against the bush so in theory the outside of the washer as you look at it is smooth

Hopefully I have explained it as good as possible

Is that correct chaps

I'm not sure of a side being differentiated from another by being smooth? unsure.gif

But re-read bishbosh's post, he describes it well. The curved / domed side of the washer faces inwards. So it doesn't press on the outer edge of the shock eye. This is so it holds the shock against the mounting pin, but allows the bush to work and the shock to move.

Best I can find at the moment:

gallery_2_853_2351.jpg

Can you see the outer face of the washer is flat. The inner is curved / domed and doesn't touch the outer ring of the shock 'eye'...... That means the shock can twist a little in all directions. Without that twist it will snap eventually.

Over the years I have given OME shocks plenty of abuse on different conditions from Uk challenging to touring Aus. And I have never had a problem

But the do have a 3 year garentee and come with a service book and maneul. Which I have for both my 90 and 110. I fitted the one son my 110 but ARB fitted the ones on the 90

Pretty rare to have problem with them but are a good company and stand by their stuff

Ali

where did you get them from?

Gywn makes them and when ever i have spoken to him he seems like a spot on chap, try talking to him abut the problem!

I think the word you are looking for is sells them as ARB make them and sell them world wide Gywn is just a stockest same as Devon 4x4

OME shocks have a shocking history of early failures (excuse the pun). They seem to last 3 months or so. Ironman shocks (also from OZ) never seem to fail. I reckon the QA on OME is at fault. They seem to be the most overrated and overpriced things you can fit to your LR. Maybe the Toymota ones are made better.

OME shocks have a shocking history of early failures (excuse the pun). They seem to last 3 months or so. Ironman shocks (also from OZ) never seem to fail. I reckon the QA on OME is at fault. They seem to be the most overrated and overpriced things you can fit to your LR. Maybe the Toymota ones are made better.

Mm totally disagree with that

OME are good shocks. Their not the best but they are not the worse either. They are in fact well priced for what you get.you can get fox or Olins or Rieger if you want better but at a grand or more a corner make OME look cheap After all they check them for use and height after 300 miles and a yearly check if you want for free of charge and a three year warranty

I had scrap iron ones once and they were totally carp and had to replace 4 in the space of 6 months

Since then I have used OME and not broken one and I have drive in winch challenge and on cars that I have driven around Australia on corrugated roads with no problems

Ali

Sadly I have to agree with Jim's comments, they do seem overated and I have seen 110 rear ones fail at the top ring many a time, could be that the shocks arnt the correct ones for the springs though (not long enough)as that will also cause the problem described above.

Thirsty

Hi guys

Just wanted to let you know the outcome of the broken shock and ask another question

I called gwyn and the shock washer was fitted correctly !!!

He has replace the shock foc but possibly highlight 2 reasons why this happen

1 I did the nut up to tight and the shock couldn't move around causing it to break

2 I have -2 inch shock mounts which he said shouldn't be used on +2 inch shocks !!!

Reason behind this is the shocks now travel 2 inch lower so in theory the shock can bottom out before the axle touches the bump stop

What's your opinions on this guys ?

I like the shock dropper and want to carry on running them but if it's going to damage the shocks then I wlll remove them

Cheers Chris

Interesting what Jim says; especially as he is without doubt a man with experience. Yet he is one of the very few people to ever have anything bad to day about OME.

OME are probably tested and matched better than any other aftermarket suspension in the world. However they are designed to match certain configurations. Many years ago here in the UK Iron Shocks recieved a market pasting becuase 'they all broke'. Actually it was because the UK distributor wasn't careful about who did what with them and a superb shock got the usual 'it's no good' rumours spread so far that it's sales have never recovered in the UK market.

I've heard it about most makes - Rancho, Pro-comp etc etc

I agree with Jim about the cost though. Okay one has to allow for container frieght costs - but you can get a lot of shocks on one container. The UK importer (Arbil) could help the retailers by looking at pricing. Slightly less for such a good shock could make a big difference...

I finally managed to afford a set of OME's for the rear of my 110 - okay they are plus 5" pin/pin; but the difference in ride quality above the Terrafirms previously fitted is amazing

2 I have -2 inch shock mounts which he said shouldn't be used on +2 inch shocks !!!

Reason behind this is the shocks now travel 2 inch lower so in theory the shock can bottom out before the axle touches the bump stop

What's your opinions on this guys ?

I like the shock dropper and want to carry on running them but if it's going to damage the shocks then I wlll remove them

Cheers Chris

you will continue to go through shocks with this set up and you definitely WILL be bottoming out the shock. I think Gwyn has been extremely kind giving you a FOC replacement after finding this out, as this is clearly user fitment error (sorry).

With +2" shocks and standard bumptops, you will almost bottom out the shock using standard shock mounts [different brands may have different length +2, so this may vary upon brand]. Fitting shock droppers absolutely will result in bottoming out of the shock.

You have 2 choices really, limit up travel by fitting extended bumpstops or put standard shock mounts on. Any reason you want to keep the dropper?

Nick