Gwyn Lewis Challenge Suspension Kit

I'm sure plenty of people have experience of this kit so was wondering if anybody could answer a couple of questions as I need to make a decision on what I'm going to order asap.

As listed (and pictured) on the Gwyn Lewis website the kit is shown as providing +5 1/2" shocks, does this equate to a 5 1/2" lift or is this reduced by a bracket? (I'm only looking for +3")

The picture of the kit doesn't include front radius arms, surely these must be included?

I know I could wait and give them a call on Tuesday but any answers before them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mick.

Edit: I've just re-read the info and I think I've misunderstood it, does the kit just allow an extra 5 1/2" degree of axle drop whilst retaining traction but no extra lift? confused.

Hi

This is a plus 2" kit on the ride height, but gives you plus 5" of travel on the shocks as far as i know, your land rover will not sit 5" high

Someone with more knowledge will be along soon :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

Chris

Cheers Chris,

5" lift sounded a bit scary! :ph34r:

Hi

This is a plus 2" kit on the ride height, but gives you plus 5" of travel on the shocks as far as i know, your land rover will not sit 5" high

Someone with more knowledge will be along soon :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

Chris

Yep +2" and 5.5 inches of travel on the ome shocks, or whatever other shocks you want, what i use, does what it says on the tin, prob about the best and easyist set ups going, unless you got loads a money to throw at a suspension set up, and a real nice guy to talk to about suspension set up's (not just his own) or anything else regarding defenders for that matter

The lift is set by the springs and / or spacers. iirc the full kit comes with springs to give a 2" lift

The suspension travel, all other things permitting, is limited by the shocks. The Shocks with Gwyn's kit have 5.5" more travel than the standard shocks.

The back end will achieve most, if not all, of this potential. Basically because the linkage is non binding.

The front won't achieve full use of this - because the radius arms, with their twin mounts for the axle, are binding.

No one else seems to worry about the balance front to back though unsure.gif and you can't do much about it without spending a lot of money anyway. SImply perhaps - you can drill the radius arm bushes to loosen it up at the front a bit.

From your questions - you would benefit a lot from reading and digesting an excellent article in the tech section of this forum - that describes what does what in more detail than I have sketched out here.

As a final word perhaps - I would say that I think Gwyn's kit is an excellent bit of kit. Make sure you choose the brand of shocks to suit where you'd be doing your driving. Terrafirma and OME will give a better ride on the road.

hth

Hi, ive looked into buying gwyn's kit aswell but not got enough pennies for it as yet, and he doesnt offer radius arms with his kit but he does offer to bend yours ones or send you already bent ones in exchange for your standard ones my dad did this not so long ago i think it cost him about £45 plus p&p which is alot cheaper than buying specially made ones from some other companies.

hth

alot of people will argue this.... but you really do not need bent radius arms on the front for a plus 2" lift... also if you do fit them then you have more expense on prop shaft options as the angle is increased!

this kit is awesome on the road too so dont be put off by the incredible travel. I love my truck on the road as it handles soooooo well on the OME shocks and springs. then offroad its truely impressive!

in my opinion anyways :)

Gwyn wouldnt sell it if it didnt work!

alot of people will argue this.... but you really do not need bent radius arms on the front for a plus 2" lift... also if you do fit them then you have more expense on prop shaft options as the angle is increased!

this kit is awesome on the road too so dont be put off by the incredible travel. I love my truck on the road as it handles soooooo well on the OME shocks and springs. then offroad its truely impressive!

in my opinion anyways :)

Gwyn wouldnt sell it if it didnt work!

Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself.

You know you can buy all the bits of the kit separately if you can't scrape all the cash together in one go?

I have had this kit on both my 90 and my current 110 (in fact the Puma 90 on his site was my 90 until I built my own 110).

One thing to remember with this kit is that it gives you so my articulation that you need to take off the anti roll bar other wise you will flip it over, and also put on a longer rear prop shaft.

I ended up putting on the QT 3º Wide Castor Corrected Radius Arms and Heavy Duty Cranked Trailing Arms, a longer rear wide angle prop shaft, and a Carden Joint Prop Shaft on the front. This way whatever the angle the axles are at that lot will still spin nicely.

Again, lovely simple and real world workable bit of kit, no nonsense and a great bloke who knows his stuff, as the other post says, he would no sell it if it did not work. He is more about the gear working as apposed from a shiny logo...

• 4 weeks later...