1998 300tdi Randomly cutting out?

Hi all,

Happy New Year.

Anyone got any ideas?

A few times recently i have been driving a long.. either feathering the throttle as i go or accelerating and bang (not the noise), all of a sudden i lose power and then come off the throttle, back on and we are away again.. Thought it was just under load but sometimes whilst cruising.

No lights etc come one, just like you slipped off the accelerator and then carried on..

No ECU etc to worry about, so any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

examine the wiring & operation of the fuel shutoff soleniod as well, you may having a shorting out wire which lets the soleniod switch off & on, rather than being held open.

Thanks... can you advise where i can find it please? sorry not that mechanically minded on the 90's.. well anything these days ;-)

Thanks... can you advise where i can find it please? sorry not that mechanically minded on the 90's.. well anything these days ;-)

on the upper rear of the FIP [Fuel Injection Pump] there's only 1 wire attached to the top of the shutoff soleniod, just check it fot breaks worn outer coating & repair or replace.

i could pretty much guarantee you that it is the actual connector on the fuel stop solenoid , happened to me many times .

in my case i may have only to brush my hand past the connector in order for it to lose contact .

on the end of the injector pump where the injector pipes come out you will see a black plastic push on connector which fits onto the spade terminal of the stop solenoid , usually if you have the engine just stop or fail to start for no reason all you need to do is pull the connector off and put back on again and all will be ok .

you have 2 options here, either just give the spade terminal a quick scratch with something , and maybe clean and slightly squeeze up the insides of the connector to make it all make good contact , or cut off the connector and fit a new one, the BLUE insulated types fit the terminal .