Land Rover 90 Fuel filler neck

Hi, Due to corrosion I have to change the metal filler neck on my 1984 Land Rover 90, the thing has pin holes thus letting in water to the tank, I spent a good while taking the tank off and trying to get the water and carp out on Christmas day. I wonder if i can swap necks from the later type,I know i will have to get a new rubber pipe, but is the size on the tank the same for early and late types? I know there are other tank differances. Also due to water in the fuel I may have got microbiological contamination can any one tell me what form this takes.

Thanks,

Ronnie.

Hi I'm having the same problem with my 86 def and was wondering also if the later ones fitted as the correct one is £160 plus vat :o, anyway I was scouting through ebay and found a coversion kit for the later type to the early one which basically consisted of the later pipe and later cap, not sure if the site will let me post links yet but http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-FUEL-FILLER-AND-LOCKABLE-CAP-/280594954739?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4154c339f3 if not do a search for item no. 280594954739. I'm not involved in this item in anyway but was doing a search for info on my problem and found your post so thought I'd share.

Cheers

Lee

Lee, I bought one of these necks off *-bay, just bought it yesterday so I don't know what it's like for fitting,

I think the hose from the tank is different because the new later type neck is a smaler diameter pipe.

I was looking for a later type of hose and the only ones I could find were on LR direct by useing part numbers

(very expensive for a rubber hose)so I will have to phone around and see if I can get one cheaper most other people dont seeem to have them on thier sites.I would be greatfull if anyone could piont out a supplier for this hose thats less than £35-£45.

Thanks,

Ronnie.

Hi Ronnie

I was worried that the pipe looked a smaller diameter myself so I ended up cutting mine up and welding on a new pipe the same diameter straight on the back of the flange then drilled a hole through the new bit and welded on a small pipe for the breather (I used oil cooler pipe)then heated and bent it, it's as good as new now.

One thing that may save you some money, your rubber filler pipe reduces down in size after only 2" so if the new neck is slightly longer it may reach once you've cut the wide bit off.

cheers

Lee