imobiliser on a rrc soft dash??

frrfrr

If its a UK market car with the single button pear shaped plip then yes it has an immobiliser that inhibits cranking etc.It is not recognised by Thatchem etc.I often get asked this question by customers - the answer is to argue with them or go to a different insurer.The truth of it is that any immobilser you fit to that car can be got round with a couple of bits of wire....

If its a UK market car with the single button pear shaped plip then yes it has an immobiliser that inhibits cranking etc.It is not recognised by Thatchem etc.I often get asked this question by customers - the answer is to argue with them or go to a different insurer.The truth of it is that any immobilser you fit to that car can be got round with a couple of bits of wire....

as you say , uk pear shape bleeper

thanks fraser

• 2 weeks later...

The alarm ECU is fitted onto the lh end of a rack of relays behind the glowebox next to the factory ICE amp if fitted and the window lift ECU. As said if the insewerance company aren't stisfied with it then change companies. Every aftermakret alram I'd had fitted bar one has been a PITA, cost far more than it saved on insurance and lasted only a few years.

Our TDi has a t**d alarm and it was a sack of t**d to be sure, left the wife stranded on a couple of occasions before I ripped it out. I had 2 fitted to my Cavalier in 4 years, both expesnsive branded ones fitted by a national company and the thing on my sister's TDi, again an expensive branded alarm, guarantees it won't be stolen by flattening the battery on a regular basis.

• 3 weeks later...

The single-button fob alarm has an integral immobiliser. They are no longer available and parts are unavailable to repair units, but the later two-button alarm/immobiliser fits with no alteration to the wiring or mountings - it's a direct swap. www.remotekey.co.uk sell the replacement alarms and fobs direct to customers, and can set up the ECU to enable the options on the later systems like auto relock (relocks the doors is no door is opened within 20 seconds of unlocking, just in case a spurious or other drivers fob happened to unlock your car), auto-immobilise (the immobiliser rearms after 20 or 30 seconds if the engine has not been started after unlocking), auto-unlock (unlocks all doors following an accident) and a few others.

The factory fitted alarm and immobiliser are Thatcham approved, but many insurers strangely demand a certificate or additional immobiliser.

The single-button fob alarm has an integral immobiliser. They are no longer available and parts are unavailable to repair units, but the later two-button alarm/immobiliser fits with no alteration to the wiring or mountings - it's a direct swap. www.remotekey.co.uk sell the replacement alarms and fobs direct to customers, and can set up the ECU to enable the options on the later systems like auto relock (relocks the doors is no door is opened within 20 seconds of unlocking, just in case a spurious or other drivers fob happened to unlock your car), auto-immobilise (the immobiliser rearms after 20 or 30 seconds if the engine has not been started after unlocking), auto-unlock (unlocks all doors following an accident) and a few others.

The factory fitted alarm and immobiliser are Thatcham approved, but many insurers strangely demand a certificate or additional immobiliser.

I find this quite an odd statement,the later 2 button 10AS type ecu is nearly twice the size and has totally different mulitplugs than the old single button type. Although you could rewire a car to use the later type,it would be alot of hassle to do.

I find this quite an odd statement,the later 2 button 10AS type ecu is nearly twice the size and has totally different mulitplugs than the old single button type. Although you could rewire a car to use the later type,it would be alot of hassle to do.

Not for the soft dash - mine broke down, so I got a new 2-fob unit from Remotekey and fitted it straight in with no alterations at all. The ECU box was a little larger but used the same mountings and plug as the unit I took out. The whole job took five minutes. Maybe Remotekey included a harness adaptor plug, but I don't recall such a thing.

I'd be interested to know what you actually have fitted on your car as it could be very useful to me.(I still have several Disco 1's on the books with the single button plip.) My brothers late softdash also has an AMR2109 single button type ecu on it.Looking at Microcat it lists only the single button type to the end of the classic production - the 10AS two button type isnt listed for anything till the TA chassis year on Disco's and Defenders.

So it could be a useful mod - any chance of pics please ?

I'd be interested to know what you actually have fitted on your car as it could be very useful to me.(I still have several Disco 1's on the books with the single button plip.) My brothers late softdash also has an AMR2109 single button type ecu on it.Looking at Microcat it lists only the single button type to the end of the classic production - the 10AS two button type isnt listed for anything till the TA chassis year on Disco's and Defenders.

So it could be a useful mod - any chance of pics please ?

I'll try to remember tomorrow, but the chap at Remotekey.co.uk will be able to tell you what to do and give you the options, since it's their speciality. What I can reiterate is that my RRC is a standard soft dash, and the two-button unit from remotekey was a direct swap for the original single-button type with no drilling, cutting, rewiring or anything else - just the bolts and plugging it in.

I had an interesting chat with a chap at remote key today.He confirmed that they used to supply the later 10AS two button unit with a link lead to adapt onto older cars fitted with single button systems.The 10AS unit they used was set up differently to standard LR settings so just be careful if you ever need to change it.

They discontinued it because of lack of demand,but its still an option to me in the future - I'd just have to work out the wiring layout.