Deadlocks for a Defender 90?

Hi everyone, I am brand new to the forum and I am just about to take delivery of a new Defender 90 in about 8 weeks time,

I have been reading all the forum posts I can find about security as I don't want my pride and joy to get nicked 5 minutes after I have bought it.

I have read all the posts about Mech Lock, Pedal Boxes and Disklocks but it occurred to me that if I fitted deadlocks to all the doors this would make life very difficult as they would have to go in and out of a window to do anything even before they had to tackle any other security device I had fitted. The only firm I can find on the internet that fit deadlocks is Locks 4 Vans but they only seem to do commercial vans.

I have sent them an e-mail asking if they do anything for Defenders, hope for a reply in the next day or so.

I wondered if anyone has any experience/advice regarding fitting of deadlocks to a Defender and if they know of any other firms that offer such a service.

Many thanks for any replies

Hi and welcome

I have also been looking at security and there are mixed views on dead locks.

Depending how desperate the toe rags are they will always get in and if you fit dead locks then the more of a mess they will make of your Defender.

As far as I can tell the best option is to buy a big Rottweiler and let him camp in the back, mind you he might eat his way out.

Sorry but I know this is not much help.

Hopefully someone will come along shortly with some more appropriate answers.

Frax

:huh:

Unfortunately I have to agree with Frax, I had a car I spent a good few hundred on a fancy new security system and came down one night to find the alarm going off and holes in the doors where someone's little angel had put a screwdriver through them. Best bet in my book would generally be overt measures, disklok being a good one, get some smartwater stickers if you can for the windows and it can't hurt to put a tracker in case you need to recover, should the worst happen.

Deadlocks they only find out about after they try and break in, and they wil just use a window. :(

Failing all that, a very loud alarm, big dog, decent rifle and park it on your private range behind your house.

Whatever you do I think it's best to have several deterrents in place; immobiliser, alarm, pedal box, wheel lock, cut-off switch etc etc. The longer its going to take to steal, the less likely they are to try. That said, if they want it, they will take it I'm afraid.

Sorry this isn't much help. Welcome to the forum though, enjoy your 90!

John

As far as I can tell the best option is to buy a big Rottweiler and let him camp in the back, mind you he might eat his way out.

Frax

Wouldn't need to eat his way out with LR panel gaps, expect he would just slide out especially since it'll be warmer outside and less draughty.

Hi Guys, many thanks for the welcome to the forum and the advice, seems tragic there is so little we can do to stop these people, anyway will persevere. I am planning to look at several measures to fit, e.g. Mech Lock, Disklock etc as well. I reckon if I fitted deadlocks I think they would be obvious they were fitted as there would be an additional key hole on the doors which hopefully would be some kind of visual put off. Anyway will let everyone know if I get a reply from the Lock4Vans people.

• 4 weeks later...

An update on fitting deadlocks on a brand new (2011) 90SW, I spoke to the people at Locks 4 Vans but they said they had not installed any on a Defender and based on the fact that the door panels were made of "soft" aluminium then their effectiveness would be seriously compromised. I was going to fit a Mech Lock as the final resort but they went on to say that if the vehicle had an immobilizer fitted then no one in the UK would be able to drive it away. If this is true then a Mech Lock would be a waste of money for me.

Is it true the current immobilizer fitted in a new 90 cannot be bypassed?

Most new cars have very good immobilisers fitted, it's stopped hot wiring in it's tracks, what they do now is break into the house and steal the keys or drag you out at the traffic lights if they really want it though that is quite rare.

A full steering lock is probably the most visible deterrent, if it's a daily driver pedal locks, gear stick locks and whatever else you can buy will probably put you off driving it as much as them.

I'd rely on the immobiliser, alarm and a steering wheel lock and a tracker if you can afford it

Depending how desperate the toe rags are they will always get in and if you fit dead locks then the more of a mess they will make of your Defender.

Just like I did :P

Frax

post-26665-0-78671800-1296167713_thumb.jpg