Overland trip to Iceland

Hi Jason,

The most we ever drove in a day was 90 miles....and that was on a lucky day with a little over 6 hours driving. We planned everything out really well, however, when we arrived, we realised that the maps don't give the true impression of what can be done. I would set your limits a lot lower than 200 miles.

Someone mentioned having your landy sent in advance in a container - to give you more time, could that be an option for you? Or do you need it as a daily drive over here? I guess flights to Reykavik, even on Iceland Express are about £200 return, per head, so, perhaps that would still be quite expensive.

Good luck with the trip! Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be great.

Shant

Hi Jason,

The most we ever drove in a day was 90 miles....and that was on a lucky day with a little over 6 hours driving. We planned everything out really well, however, when we arrived, we realised that the maps don't give the true impression of what can be done. I would set your limits a lot lower than 200 miles.

Someone mentioned having your landy sent in advance in a container - to give you more time, could that be an option for you? Or do you need it as a daily drive over here? I guess flights to Reykavik, even on Iceland Express are about £200 return, per head, so, perhaps that would still be quite expensive.

Good luck with the trip! Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be great.

Shant

Hi Shant,

Thanks for that I guess I will need to revise the achieved mileage down, I looked at container shipping as I don't need my 110 as my daily drive, but am still awaiting costs from others the first ones I found were around £5k return so a non starter by the looks of it.

Jason.

• 5 months later...

Jason

How did it go?

Although it's a few years off, we are planning to go to Iceland in 2014 (Tunisia 2010, Morocco 2012).

I would be very interested to find out how you worked the ferry times as the Uk-Denmark ones don't seem to 'fit' very well with the Denmark - Iceland sailings.

has anyone else received a firm quote for shipping?

Although it's cheaper to fly-drive we want to use our own vehicle as well.

Ralph

Jason

How did it go?

Although it's a few years off, we are planning to go to Iceland in 2014 (Tunisia 2010, Morocco 2012).

I would be very interested to find out how you worked the ferry times as the Uk-Denmark ones don't seem to 'fit' very well with the Denmark - Iceland sailings.

has anyone else received a firm quote for shipping?

Although it's cheaper to fly-drive we want to use our own vehicle as well.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

We decided to give it a miss this year after some great advice from members on here, TJ being one of them I decided that the two weeks we had this year would simply not be enough time to experience enough, As I was due to be spending the second half of the year working away from home. Ferry time seemed achievable for the drive between them. I looked into shipping but it really didn't cost in freight prices have gone through the roof over the past couple of years and as they have cut the amount of shipping to Iceland (no money to pay for foreign goods) this has also impacted the price.

I did also look at a fly drive type thing but decided that I really want to use my own Landy so also scratched that idea, It's still on the list and hopefully if I can convince Mrs S will form our family holiday next year but I will need to plan the time to really enjoy it. My plan was to take the Landy on the boat on my own and get the family to join me via a plane.

Cheers, Jason.