Can you recommend some literature?

JJB Serenity

For real back to basics car engineering, I virtually taught myself to be a race mechanic by reading all the "...To Win" books by the late Carroll Smith, several times. They do focus on race cars, and particularly those of the pre-electronics era. But if you want a really clear explanation of how an oil system works, and more important for me, why, Carroll Smith is excellent.

For me, RAVE is excellent when you already know what you have to do. Carroll Smith helps you understand why the thing you are unhappy about, does need fixing and the basics of how. RAVE then tells you the specifics of dis-assembly order, parts to replace, lubricant or threadlock required assembly order and torque settings.

Carroll Smith will explain why suspensions have springs and dampers together, how the left pedal is linked to the clutch, why the rivet pattern is how it is etc etc. His books are not at all specific to 4x4's even less land Rovers, but you do get a very readable basics upwards explanations of most things to do with cars, except for electronics. You will also find out why a single shear mount (found a lot in Land Rovers, especially the steering), is a "crime against nature".

And if Carroll Smith can teach me (a software engineer by trade), to become a race mechanic, he can teach anyone.

Regards

Richard

Member British Racing Mechanics Club

John,

I should have added:

http://www.carrollsmith.com/

Since this sounds like what you are looking for, I would start with "Prepare to Win" and "Tune to Win", followed by "Engineer to Win" , which has lots of stuff about why you heat-treat steel etc.

I should also have mentioned that I have no connection with Carroll Smith Books etc, and unfortunately never met him, though raced against a number who knew him well.

Regards

Richard