broken key

Hamish Grundy

Hi all,

i bought my discovery in august 2010, ive had quite a few problems with it since. but the main issue at the moment is the key. when i bought it the key was broken off in the barrel, there was still half left so it starts and ran fine at the time, however recently it has failed to start a few times, the other week after a short journey i stopped it the left it for 5-10mins, went back to it and it span over but wouldnt fire. got out locked it, unlocked and it started. it did that 3-4 times since. then the other day after a short trip again, i got in turned the key and nothing at all. all the usual lights came on but wouldnt turn over. tried locking unlocking etc made no difference. left it for 4 hours ish, started. its done it 3 times since then. im wondering if the broken key is anything to do with it. i swirted wd40 in the barrel and it does seem better so far. how can i get the rest of the key out? its a n reg 300tdi disco. 196000. cheers

hamish