300/90 fuel tank question.....

no pic, can take one tomoorrow..... it does really look like a guard as such, but its definately an extra piece of steel to the tank anyway, as the corners arte kind of open.... if that makes sense, it just seems to be stopping the new guard form going up to the tank quite enough thats all, daft thing is, the advert for the guard says, 'easy to fit', i don;t think i'm stupid, but i just can't see the bracket fitting right..... its one of these... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-TDI-TANK-GUARD-/160401879356?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2558b2713c

Both the tank I took off my 1990 90 and the secondhand one I got as a replacement had a guard spot welded to the tank - obviously part of the original manufacture:

med_gallery_22916_1133_382976.jpg

Even pressure washing could not get the mud out of the gap between the guard and the tank so rather than leave it there to rot, I cut the old guard off, cleaned up the tank and made stainless guard which bolts in place to replace it.

med_gallery_22916_1133_585879.jpg

More pictures here.