smoke screening td5

vinck

For some months now my td5 lays a white-blueish smoke screen when driving away , after the first start of the day. It takes about half a mile to loose the smoke, after that all is fine.

Glowplugs were replaced a month ago (only 1 out of 4 proved to be working) but to no avail. Btw, why only 4 glowplugs in a 5 cylinder engine???

Car did 214000 kms and is a 2001 disco td5.

Anyone any idea what can be the cause of this smokescreening??????

Hi

Is it oil smoke, as a white smoke indicates water is getting in some where,

and as you run it burns off, when it gets hot. Suspect head gasket, check coolant levels,

are you loosing coolant.

regards

Brian

It indeed looses tiny quantities of coolant bot nothing really spectacular, the level in the reservoir goes down about a quart after 300 miles or so.

Would that be the gasket, I read somewhere about a bolt hidden by the exhaust collector that has an o-ring that could cause problems.

A quart in 300 miles is quite alot.I would get the cooling system pressure tested with the engine cold - this is the best way to find small external leaks,if there are none then its a possibilty that the head gasket is on its way.Sniffing for HC's above the coolant in the expansion tank with the engine running can be a big help in diagnosis too.(Using an exhaust gas analyser.)

4 glows,not 5 because the fuel pressure regulator needs to be there.The glows are more for emissions after starting unless you live in a really cold climate.

A quart in 300 miles is quite alot.I would get the cooling system pressure tested with the engine cold - this is the best way to find small external leaks,if there are none then its a possibilty that the head gasket is on its way.Sniffing for HC's above the coolant in the expansion tank with the engine running can be a big help in diagnosis too.(Using an exhaust gas analyser.)

4 glows,not 5 because the fuel pressure regulator needs to be there.The glows are more for emissions after starting unless you live in a really cold climate.

1. the cooling system was pressurised on a cold engine: no apparent leaks

2. An exhaust gas analyser was used on the expansion tank on a running and revving engine: no HC's

Conclusion: there was no obvious reason for coolant loss, yet it does loose coolant. (occasionally)

I started her today after a stand still of 4 days: no smoke whatsoever. I did 355 kms and lost no significant amount of coolant. Is this perhaps an example of a rare selfrepairing car????

Sorry to burst your bubble,but I would say that its a classic sign of head gasket failure - its what they do,no loss for a while then they lose a pint in a short journey.Think about it,the coolant is going somewhere.My best suggestion is to keep a very close eye on it,if it brews up properly there may be more damage done.A head gasket on a TD5 is no great shake, a cracked head or block work IS expensive.

Sorry to burst your bubble,but I would say that its a classic sign of head gasket failure - its what they do,no loss for a while then they lose a pint in a short journey.Think about it,the coolant is going somewhere.My best suggestion is to keep a very close eye on it,if it brews up properly there may be more damage done.A head gasket on a TD5 is no great shake, a cracked head or block work IS expensive.

OK, you've done it... burst my bubble that is. What do you mean by not a great shake, in pounds that is (or in euros for that is what we are counting in on the continent for as long as it takes), in a garage?????

Be very careful pressurising the cooling system with the engine off. If you do have a gasket leak, do not try to start the engine as it may hydraulic and bend con rods etc. Best is to turn the engine at least two revolutions by hand. The easy way (with a manual) is to jack up one front wheel, put the gearbox in 3rd or 4th and turn the road wheel. With an auto you have to use a socket on the crankshaft.

The starter motor on these engines is strong enough to bend the rods. BTDT :(

P1010006Small.jpg

This is a 300Tdi rod, but they all bend easily

• 4 weeks later...

Be very careful pressurising the cooling system with the engine off. If you do have a gasket leak, do not try to start the engine as it may hydraulic and bend con rods etc. Best is to turn the engine at least two revolutions by hand. The easy way (with a manual) is to jack up one front wheel, put the gearbox in 3rd or 4th and turn the road wheel. With an auto you have to use a socket on the crankshaft.

The starter motor on these engines is strong enough to bend the rods. BTDT :(

P1010006Small.jpg

This is a 300Tdi rod, but they all bend easily

Is it possible that the first series disco II had a problem with the cylinder head? My independant LR garage says that in the first series the head tends to shift after a certain period AND that it is impossible to diagnose this by any other means than by lifting the head.

Can the gasket leak be there and be undetected, I see no traces of mayonaise in the oil.

• 4 weeks later...