300Tdi Crankshaft Timing Pulley - removal

Happy New Year All.

I was told that the crankshaft pulley was normally the tricky one - not on my engine! That came off easily! I am left with the small toothed belt timing wheel, where you cant use a 3 leg puller as the edges just cave in, so I've made my own puller that uses the three M5 tapped holes and a piece of 1/2" thick plate and a M10 screw applying pressure, but so far, all I've done is shear the M5 screws!

Any suggestions? Swearing didn't work - heat, violence? I don't want the pulley, What I'm trying to do is to release the back of the timing case cover so I can use it as a spare!

As a guide to this engine, I wrecked a Sealey "viscous fan holding tool" trying to get the viscous fan off (yes I know it is LH thread) and rounded the fan nut even with a proper fan spanner - the fan only came off after I attacked it with a 9" angle grider!

Cheers

Peter

maybe the timing gear has been glued on with loctite or similar, there's nothing else to stop it coming off, put the pressure on with the M5 bolt puller & a tyre lever between gear & timing case, or maybe tap it rearwards with a copper drift/big hammer to crack any loctite or whatever else is holding it.

maybe the timing gear has been glued on with loctite or similar, there's nothing else to stop it coming off, put the pressure on with the M5 bolt puller & a tyre lever between gear & timing case, or maybe tap it rearwards with a copper drift/big hammer to crack any loctite or whatever else is holding it.

OK, tonights efforts! Had it glowing red (that will release any Loctite), tried to pry it forward, tried to tap it backwards. Used my home made puller, sheared an M10 screw and one of the M5 screws very close to the pulley face!

For all that - no change in pulley position!

I have now made a new puller! I've tapped a couple of M6 holes in the pulley and drilled and tapped the centre of the steel M12!

We'll see what tomorrow night brings!

Cheers

Peter

Frustrated of Trowbridge!

If the pulley is expendable, why not have a go with the cutting wheel? I did the rear brakes on my 110 recently, the caliper bolts were so rusty nothing would bite. The calipers were knackered, so I just split them with the cutting wheel so I could get to the caliper mount bracket bolts...

calipula.JPG

Looking at the state of the pulley - I wouldn't fancy re-using it now anyway :rolleyes:

The problem is access, it is recessed in the rear timing cover (which is what I am trying to salvage) and somebody else is having the block, so I don't want to totally mash the crankshaft.

I will have a look again tonight, but I think any use of a disc cutter or alligator saw may well impinge on the rear timing cover.

Cheers

Peter

Here's a thought, if the pulley is held on with a woodruff key, it is possible that it has worn a step in the slot in the pulley, meaning it won't pull off, it will of course be jammed because of this!

I suggest getting a small-ish chisel and hitting the pulley in a way to rotate it on the shaft, this will free it up if it has slipped, and if it was glued in place... and hopefully pull off at some point.

Good luck!