Fitting 24v supply into the defender

Hi all

I have an urgent need to fit a 24v supply into my defender before the 11th February

Does any body know the best way to do this? Also cheapest :)

I was wondering about either a 24v alternator or a 12 to 24 inverter but all the inverters seem to be naff power output and expensive :(

Please advise

Tom

Would seem much easier to use a camping stove or one of those plug-in 12v water heaters or kettles you can buy for a few quid.

Failing that, the easiest way is to find a 12->24v DC-DC converter, otherwise you're into fitting a 2nd 24v alternator somewhere.

I have a Defender with a 24v Eberspacher (they are cheaper than the 12v versions!) I have two batteries in the seat box, but for the last 2 years I have just taken the second battery out at regular intervals and charged it off the mains. This won't work for you (obviously!)

I also have a circuit design that allows you to take 24v off the two batteries, but via a single switch and a relay, manually swap the 12v charging between the batteries. One of these days I'll get around to fitting it. It would mean that I would leave charging on the main battery for about 30 minutes after starting, then switch across for 30 minutes and then back etc. It will require reasonable length journeys to make sure both are charged.

Otherwise as some have suggested, its a 24v alternator, but then you run into difficulties of making sure both are charged as with a 24v charge and two batteries, one tends to charge in preference over the other.

Not sure if that helps or not!

Cheers

Peter

Or ... (suggesting this as no-one else has) an inverter and transformer. 24v / 15A into a nice resistive load is only 360w. You'd probably get away with a 500w inverter feeding a 240/24v transformer, but probably 1000w would be better. Ideally you'd have a 12-24v inverter but I suspect that's expensive ( see for example linky, and inverters are normally quite efficient. The only thing is it's probably going to draw around 40a while it's running, so you'd need a) good thick leads from battery to inverter, and b) to leave the engine running. I think the second battery & switchover is most practical - I think that's how David Bowyer's 24v turbo winch device works.

Nigel

Hi all

I have an urgent need to fit a 24v supply into my defender before the 11th February

Does any body know the best way to do this? Also cheapest :)

I was wondering about either a 24v alternator or a 12 to 24 inverter but all the inverters seem to be naff power output and expensive :(

Please advise

Tom

how about one of these, http://www.nkrecovery.co.uk/mod.html

£90 cheaper than another battery and 24v alternator. 3rd down on left.

Pete

- I think that's how David Bowyer's 24v turbo winch device works.

Nigel

Further to this there's a thread about this on the workshop forum linky Giving the pt no of a Bosch parallel start relay - switches batteries parallel for charging/series for starting and can presumably handle heavy currents, if you decide to go the 2 batteries route.