What is the best v8

Dan88

............The head gasket does not seal to the liner..............

I'm not sure that's true, I certainly thought it did which is why the coolant only leaks once the liner has slipped. I'm sure the witness marks on my block showed the head gasket was sealed to the liner.

Anyway, I'll try and check that out when I have a moment.

I'm sure the witness marks on my block showed the head gasket was sealed to the liner.

I believe that, but the book from DesHammil once taught me that the seal doesn´t effectively seal to the liner, unless onto T-liners. Given that the standard liners are relatively thin, I think there is not enough contact area to effectively seal against the high pressures. Or whatever. Anyway, my 4.2 consumed water, which was the reason for the former owner to selling it to me and buy a 4.6; when the 4.2 was dismantled, we couldn´t tell which cylinder was faulty. No slipped liner. The former owner changed the radiator and the like, so I the only leak he couldn´t see was through the crack in the block. That´s why I didn´t question what I read in DesHammil´s book.

RPI's theory is that the extra torque of the 4.6 makes it less likely to kick-down whilst pulling hard, thereby leading to the same senario. When my own 3.9 slipped a liner in '02 I did a lot of research on the subject, it appears that early 4.6's were slipping liners for a hobby & causing main stealers a shed load of headaches as LR was still in denial mode.

Whilst looking at new gearboxs I learnt that the early 4.6 has a bigger torque converter too which keeps the revs down on the engine. I was considering buying one as part of an upgraded rebuilt box but I'm unsure now. Ashcroft's offer it as part of their stage 2 upgrade but given that it's the torque converter which failed on the old 'box I'm not sure the other modifications are as important.