Workshops

Hello all, after todays wind and rain putting off my work on the truck, I'm wondering about some workshop space... (yes yes yes I'm a wimp :P)

What have people got and how much per month? I appreciate a few have their own places!

Size/Electric/water? etc.

Where is good to look for advertised space? I'm wanting something big enough to put the 90 in with room to move + extra height for jacking. And ideally, as close to my house as possible:P

Thanks in advance :)

Or given your limited finances, you could follow me and buy a gazebo.

Mine is 3M sq and stands on top of some plastic boxes to make it tall enough to go over the Ninety. 3M is a little small, they can be found larger... a pop-up one is up in 2 minutes, as long as you have a helper :D

And to add that water and electric come straight out of the garage. And cups of tea straight out of the kitchen if I'm, lucky :lol:

Edited by mickeyw

In my experience the problem you'll is finding anything, anywhere regardless of cost!

I'm currently borrowing a mates workshop that is more than a 50 mile round trip from home, as there is simply nothing available (for any price) closer to home.

Jon

Ross,

Given previous replies, I would also like to reiterate that your best bet is to talk to local farmers and see what may be available. possibly put a wanted ad on the board in your local farm supplies place?

I found mine through a friend of a friend, so talk to anyone and everyone about it if you are serious...

Commercial rates are serious money, so unless you can get a group together (which has it's own pitfalls) then I wouldn't even bother looking.

As Jon says though, it isn't easy...

Go and talk to farmers in person - phone or letters are a waste of time. Even if they've not got anything, they will know someone who might!

It's also worth 'forgetting' that you want to use it to fix cars - as it conjures up entirely the wrong image, at least where Land Rovers are concerned! "I'm restoring a classic car" is likely to get a better reaction.

Google earth is useful to look for farms with outbuildings and you can often see evidence of non farming activity - such as vans & cars parked outside. At least then you can target your approach a bit.

The unit X-Eng rents is 1200 sq foot and costs £250 per month with another £200 in business rates per year - which is amazing value! I have heating, lighting, power water and toilets. My unit is based on what used to be a farm but is now mainly a fishery and camp site. They do rent one barn to someone who is "restoring a classic car" for a good deal less (£50 pm IIRC) - but that only has power and a bit of natural ventilation (gaps in walls).

Trust me, there will be somewhere like this within a few miles of you - it's just a case of doing the leg-work and finding it!

Si

Ross,

I rented a place from a guy called Mike on the Hanney Road in Steventon. About half way along on the north side of the road, opposite the riding stables. Definitely get a 90 in as I had to cut his barn apart and rebuild the door to get it in! Worth an ask, but maybe a bit far from you?

I asked a local farmer I'm friendly with and he wasn't having it. Apparantly he got "collared" a few years ago for letting someone respray a car in there - his insurance and rates didn't cover this type of usage.

Not sure of the exact story but if you get a lot of "no's" this could be the reason why.

Got an Industrial unit about 10 miles from my house, £500 a month plus £150 or so a month electricity (That runs quite a few 3 phase welders though)

I work from it aswell so cost is cut right down, racks at the back for storing parts (The work part), small office in the front of it (Work part) then a machine shop (Bit of work but mostly off road making bits) to the side and enough room to fit 3 landys end to end in the space thats left, or 2 if you want to work on them.

Rich

I have two units in a farm £50 per month one with free electricity and high roof.

The only problem is the dust. The orinters in the unit next to mine had to line the entire unit with polythene including curtains across the doors.

The farmer is really helpful and when I ran out of time trying to change my gearbox in one day he helped me, moving to a bigger cleaner building and with lifting equipment (JCB) at midnight. He was supposed to be going out that night with his future wife but spent the time helping me.

Mostly farmers are concerned about unknown people roaming around their farm at any time of day. Respect their concerns and do not invite strangers to your new workshop and they will be happy.

Marc.

Mostly farmers are concerned about unknown people roaming around their farm at any time of day. Respect their concerns and do not invite strangers to your new workshop and they will be happy.

Very true! Also having someone they do know (you) there some of the time gives some peace of mind.

Si

I pay £350 p/month for around 100sq/meters. A farmer leases the building around 2mins from where I work. Electric is metered but cheap enough, water is on a stading charge @ £50 p/quarter. I saw the farm and asked if he would like to rent out one of the barns... he has since let out all of the barns and is making a business out of it. I am also charged business rates, which really annoys me as I am NOT a business! You may need to, depending on the farmer and the council! Don't forget to ask.

I would suggest that, regardless of how good a friends you have, you find a workshop space on your own. Many projects take up an exponential amount of space (for some reason!), and you'll soon be at each other throats!!