Looking for dashboard design inspiration

A mate has one like this in his truck, the only issue really is that the tacho goes all the way up to 10K rpm, which for a 6K limited 4 pot, or a 7K limited V8 that is going in soon is a bit daft....

I'm watching this one on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320638510983&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And also this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270686316466&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

One option with very high reading tachos is to double the signal count so that your 7000rpm V8 reads 14000rpm. That will confuse people. :lol:

Night train - funnily enough I turned up that bentley dashboard during my googling, very impressive!

I have also found proof that the world of microelectronics is getting silly - LCD-in-a-switch:

IS15DBFP4RGB-600x400.jpg

And yes, they have a full-colour OLED version that can play videos :ph34r:

Night train - funnily enough I turned up that bentley dashboard during my googling, very impressive!

I have also found proof that the world of microelectronics is getting silly - LCD-in-a-switch:

IS15DBFP4RGB-600x400.jpg

And yes, they have a full-colour OLED version that can play videos :ph34r:

OLEDs are sooo last year.

At work we are building tiny full colour LCDs into small push buttons for the gaming industry.

A mate has one like this in his truck, the only issue really is that the tacho goes all the way up to 10K rpm, which for a 6K limited 4 pot, or a 7K limited V8 that is going in soon is a bit daft....

Its years since I bought mine - but I think you could buy them with different ranges ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I may have just found a cheap way of displaying info in a more easy-on-the-eye way:

Steal the e-Ink display from a £10 Moto phone:

http://wiki.steve-m.de/doku.php/epaper_display

I'd been thinking about this but discounted it because of the work involved in reverse-engineering the phone (and the ludicrous price of anything else with e-ink in it, the dev kits are over £500!) but since some nice fellow's done that already it may be a goer.

This overcomes the annoyance of LCD/LED/TFT/OLED which can be too bright, not bright enough, not daylight readable, flicker with vibrations, etc.

I'm pondering the idea of putting the eInk behind the existing gauge needles so you have the old analogue needle on a black background, but text/numbers can be displayed as well.

That's a bit cool John! This kind of thing (hacking hardware) is just up my street!

Sooner or later eBay will be awash with old eInk devices and replacement displays - particularly as colour ones become more common. That will open possibilities for much more interesting stuff!

Si

Sorry I don't have pictures, but when I was yonger I helped a mate build a custom dash for an ol Mini. We binned the mantlepeice style centre speedo and added the padded top from a clubman. then we made a sheet of ali, folded it round a spade handle for the inner and and clad it in PVC speaker-cabinet style fake leather.

The clocks we added were from things like MGBs or Triumphs, I remember stripping all the caes form old Smiths instrments down to make the bezels and faces into a matching set. Being young and full of confidence in my ability I even tried to recallibrate the speedo by alterning the spring (it sort of worked). The centre section had the stereo and a bank of late BL style rocker switches form Itals, Allegros and Minis as appropriate.

These days the clocks are hellishly hard to find, even a few years ago when the dash was stolen we struggled to replace all the clocks, but the classic 6-dial dash always looks good (speedo, revs, fuel, water, oil and battery).

• 1 year later...

sorry for reviving an old thread. i always figured one of these would look the part in an old landy. early pajero incliometer.

112410191522.jpg

im putting a newer version in my rangie classic were the coin tray is.same style as this

multimeter.jpg

but the one i have has altometer incliometer, internal and external temp and digital compass i also have the sensors and gps unit for compass.

All a bit flash if you ask me.

-mr conservative hat on-

I have an idea, use the defender binacle. Yes, thats what everyone has got, but I still think thats a great bit of design: a simple piece, complete freedom of clocks in there (not one car has got that as far as I know), and the endresult looks, well finished and really neat. It must be the cheapest dash ever produced for a mainstream car, and it looks perfect for the job IMO.

Ready to receive a LOT of flaming... :P

Daan