Juddering clutch

Hi, ive done a search and i havent really found the exact answer so i thought i would ask you guys. Recently, i have noticed my clutch judder quite badly in my 300tdi 90 1997 with 120k on her. Ive always had a slight judder, but just lately its been uncontrollable. It judders when pulling away and when changing gear from 1st to 3rd and its also noticeable in reverese (which has always happened to an extent). It usually calms down abit after about 50 miles of driving but its still there. There is no noticable oil around the bell housing, and the engine oil never budges. Its recently had a new clutch master and slave but that hasnt helped the matter. I keep being told that its contamination, but i thought it would wear off after a short distance or possible get worse when warm if engine oil was leaking onto the clutch.

Im not sure whether its related, but if i labour it in a higher gear than i should be, i get a terrible vibrating noise coming from the passenger side front/engine bay which is loud and sounds quite nasty but i cant source where its coming from.

Any help on this would be greatley appreciated.

Josh

Have you checked for play in your UJ's? I would start there as one may be worn and on its way out.

I also get that horrible vibration when you accelerate at too lower speed for the gear you are in (ie 30 in 5th and going up hill). I think its from somewhere between the transfer gearbox and the front prop. I just try to avoid it from happening by dropping down to the correct gear. I've had it since I got my truck two years ago.

Hi, ive done a search and i havent really found the exact answer so i thought i would ask you guys. Recently, i have noticed my clutch judder quite badly in my 300tdi 90 1997 with 120k on her. Ive always had a slight judder, but just lately its been uncontrollable. It judders when pulling away and when changing gear from 1st to 3rd and its also noticeable in reverese (which has always happened to an extent). It usually calms down abit after about 50 miles of driving but its still there. There is no noticable oil around the bell housing, and the engine oil never budges. Its recently had a new clutch master and slave but that hasnt helped the matter. I keep being told that its contamination, but i thought it would wear off after a short distance or possible get worse when warm if engine oil was leaking onto the clutch.

Im not sure whether its related, but if i labour it in a higher gear than i should be, i get a terrible vibrating noise coming from the passenger side front/engine bay which is loud and sounds quite nasty but i cant source where its coming from.

Any help on this would be greatley appreciated.

Josh

It's likely contamination of some sort, either oil or hydraulic fluid. The problem is it doesn't take much to do it, and as it gets hotter it soaks in further. Another thing worth checking would be the engine and gearbox mounts as if they are loose or kackered that can cause juddering. Never tried it with a defender but you could tell in a mini if the mounts & steady bar rubbers were past best before if you took the bonnet off and watched the engine leap around when setting off, though some movement is to be expected. If the judder has got suddenly worse, it would be worth checking a u/j is putting in its twopen'orth, especially rears. 1st to 3rd - don't do it! The terrible vibrating noise I too have, sounds like a large sheet of something reasonating, but can't put my finger on it. But I think it's unrelated to your clutch problems, and as you say, shouldn't be in that gear anyway.

Nigel

Is it possible that your rear crank oil seal is leaking on to the friction plate?When you have this vibration,do you lose power at all?I would check all pipes in case of delamination and the inlet manifold for leaks...this was a problem I had and couldn't locate...turned out to be the bolt holding the dipstick tube to the inlet had broken and it sounded like a tarpaulin stuck under the front axle.Certainly check the uj's,but they would have squealed loudly for a while before collapsing and just rumbling:)

Check your exhaust downpipe clamp ive had this and could not find it for ages.It was causing the clamp to vibrate at certain revs drove me mad :blink: . worth a try for a simple fix :D

Thanks & interesting...I'm about to decat it weather permitting so the clamp will get loosened and tightened at that time. I'll definitely check it carefully. Nigel

i had a juddery clutch on take up for quite a few thousand miles. Eventually i tore the center of the clutch out :(

when replacing the clutch i noticed every spring in the plate was totally worn and 1 of the springs wasnt even there anymore.