small plugs in Defender tool kit?

Whilst ( see I am picking up Brit already) rummaging through the little tool kit that came with our second hand '05 Defender 110...I noticed for the first time two very small threaded plugs in their own stretchy elastic storage loops. I did not recognize them, from my experiences underneath our two Defenders so far. I am wondering if they are something that should have been installed ( similar to 'wading kit' options) or are they spares for something vital that gets lost or damaged frequently???

Now I am all worried about it. Should these plugs be in? Should I be inspecting the originals that these might be spares for? IS there an airworthiness directive? Are lives hanging in the balance....

actually, I was just curious. Can someone tell me what these little square drive, threaded plugs in the tool kit are?

I think they will be the wading plugs - I see you are in TCI, so is yours a 300Tdi? Mine had them in (06MY export vehicle with 300Tdi). Not sure if they are supplied with Td5s though - or maybe just one (the Td5 has a chain not a belt).

On a Tdi, one goes in the gearbox bellhousing and one goes in the bottom of the front timing case.

Yes, they look remarkably similar to that 3290. Nothing much like the other one. So I suppose this tool kit might have been originally issued with an older vehicle?

We bought this one from a local construction company. I am sure they have been using Defenders for close to 15 years here.

Well, I could certainly use something to keep water out, but my primary problem is the transmission brake. I am about to have to take one apart, again. This will be the third time. It seems a common problem for all that brake drum stuff to get stuffy after the wet season.

Thanks for the info on the wading plugs. I thought they must be something along those lines. Useless to this vehicle, I suppose.

The pre-85 spanner still works to tighten battery terminals, anyhow.

Well, I could certainly use something to keep water out, but my primary problem is the transmission brake. I am about to have to take one apart, again. This will be the third time. It seems a common problem for all that brake drum stuff to get stuffy after the wet season.

A nice shiny x-eng, X-brake should sort that out. :)

• 3 weeks later...