Safari Snorkel fitting

I've just got a Safari Snorkel off eBay and saved myself a fortune.

As it's second hand it hasn't come with fitting intructions or template.

Has anyone got these that I could get a copy of please - I've tried a search on here but didn't come up with anything.

It's for a 200tdi

I notice they should have a foam gasket - do you need this or will silicone sealer do ?

Cheers

Rob

The way I remember it there are 3 holes in the bottom of the snorkel. These go into the wing, best to use rivnuts all round for easiest results. If you haven't go one a rivnut gun is pretty cheap and very useful. These holes have to be drilled into the wing (i'm pretty sure.)

As for sealing it... well. The foam seal is the least of your worries and silicone will probably do the job better but I found LRs awful wing air intake design on the 200tdi a bigger problem. Sealing that thing up is not far short of complete luck. During my rebuild I've decided that hose has to go, I filled the thing with silicone and was still never convinced it was truly water tight. I plan to run a single hose from the air box (usually needs sealing too) straight into the snorkel and making a plate around that.

There will be a bracket that bolts onto the snorkel halfway up. Then this screws into the windscreen A frame (again needs drilling) 5 screws I believe.

I can probably find you some photos when I get home.

Yes it's a genuine Safari.

I'd looked at the schematic on the Safari web site, I was hoping they would have a downloadable template but alas - no.

I like the idea of running a new pipe direct and fitting a plate to the snorkel from the air filter housing, this will reduce the number of joints to possibly leak :)

I've got a rivnut gun from when I built my Kit car.

Anybody know the outside diameter of the inlet to the air filter housing ?

I could still do with the wing template though to ensure I align it properly on the wing - any more ideas anyone ?

1. Take the standard wing intake grille off.
  2. Put snorkel where it needs to go (it can only go in one position really, as the curvature of the wing will line it up).
  3. Screw it on to the windscreen frame with the bracket (or get someone to hold it steady).
  4. Mark the wing through the three holes in the snorkel.
  5. Remove and drill, fit rivnuts etc.

Simples. Don't worry about the rubbish foam thing, just run a bead of gasket around the outside when done.

Most important thing is making sure the inner parts are sealed, as above. I never got mine sealed, was always some water in it after wading.

1. Take the standard wing intake grille off.
  2. Put snorkel where it needs to go (it can only go in one position really, as the curvature of the wing will line it up).
  3. Screw it on to the windscreen frame with the bracket (or get someone to hold it steady).
  4. Mark the wing through the three holes in the snorkel.
  5. Remove and drill, fit rivnuts etc.

Simples. Don't worry about the rubbish foam thing, just run a bead of gasket around the outside when done.

Most important thing is making sure the inner parts are sealed, as above. I never got mine sealed, was always some water in it after wading.

In your position, this is how I would do it. It really doesn't move much once its sat on the wing, and you've lined the window frame bracket up.

In your position, this is how I would do it. It really doesn't move much once its sat on the wing, and you've lined the window frame bracket up.

Thanks all.

I'll get on with it - once I can stand up outside, it's sheet black ice out there at the momement :blink: