freelander sport

quarryman77

Hi there. I would like some advice on a freelander I am hoping to buy next week. It's a 54 plate td4 sport, bonetti grey, 31k, auto. LR main dealer, so 12 mth warranty-tied in with a good part ex on my existing car. I think its a really first class example, but would like a few pointers on any headlines to look for before I part with my hard earnt......9.9k before part ex is high I know, but with warranty etc and quality I'd hope its within limits on price? Any advice greatly appreciated.

hi sounds like a nice freelander . i got my freelander last august 54 sport auto td4 .just a couple of things to advise they are not great on power or speed so would advise a remap but not sure how would affect your warranty . also the auto box is not great when cold it likes to stay in low gears till the oil in the box warms up after a few miles so heavy on fuel but if you change gear manualy its fine . i got mine from stratstone LR it has been back about 4 times make sure warranty covers everything and purchase a 2year one for peace of mind if possible if not warranty direct do a good one for about £ 560 a year covers everything even mot failure. make sure you change crankshaft breather filter every year or there is a replacement part. all in all they are not cheap to run but i live in northumberland and this winter has been rough .but not for the freelander its great and goes anywhere what a machine i love it just make warranty is right hope this will help

Sound advice - I think the warranty is key all round. I'll ask for more details, but pretty sure it covered everything.

Was reading about the vreather last night - so you know if its maintenance / replacement falls under dealer servicing intervals or not? Was going to ask them if its been changed recently and if I can expect them to do it for me prior to buying it??

What did yours have to go back for, just so I can brace myself! leaving the world of VW/audi is a bit daunting.....

sorry dont want to put you off but here goes . when i purchased it me a nd a friend went to look at it from strastone a big company we asked to put it on the ramps the sales man just laughed .we had a good look around it looked spottless it was the cheepest car in the garage at 9k there where cars there for upto 180k astons looked a good garage. it said one owner 57miles fsh ipurchased it and decided to go for the 2 year service and mot pack with 6 months warranty .the paper work came through it was 3months warranty and i was the 3rd onwer the docs where not there on the day not a good start but my fault trust no one.now the list leaking transfer box leaking piff,power mirrors ,fuel burning heater, leaking rad needed bulbs changed all sorts, i was lucky i had taken it to another stratstone garage for a free winter check with only weeks left on the warranty.the list was massive they said it would not have left there garage in this state it went back to get sorted but since then i have warranty for peace of mind just be carefull i think i was unlucky its running fine now

Hi,

I've had my 2005 (55) Td4 for 3 years now, and done 40k in that time (now on 79k miles). Mine came from a main dealer with 12 month LR warranty and cost £9.9k back then! I also got a very good p/x at the time. It's not a Sport, or an auto, admittedly (I didn't want that spec) and while I don't want to pour cold water on your plans, the one you've seen seems a bit pricey to me, even with the warranty - the recent weather has helped dealer prices it would seem...

Reliability wise, I had the fuel pump replaced under warranty in 2008, the rear wiper mechanism replaced under warranty in 2008, new glow plugs in 2010 and a new starter motor last year as well. Not bad in 3 years, but not perfect since the starter motor decided to go just as the snow fell, on a Sunday morning at 6am a week before Christmas! The thing is, I used to change my cars a lot because I get bored of them easily but every time I drive the Freelander I love it. It's got me out of some tricky situations (flood water over the bonnet, deep snow when all else was stuck etc) and still just goes on like a 'normal' car. I get 37-39mpg however I drive it, and I think it still looks great. Every time I think of changing it for something else, I can't ever come up with anything other than a Freelander 2, which I can't afford.

As for leaving the world of VW/Audi, I have had several VW's and 2 recent Skodas, as well as a Merc and a BMW (and an MG Maestro once as well - less nice) and the Freelander is probably not as tactile as those (except the Maestro), and the attention to detail is noticeably less than on other vehicles, with odd mixes of plastics on the dash and prehistoric Rover 200 switchgear, but it feels solidly built, with proper engineering where it matters. I've even got 2 of the original tyres on it (Michelin Synchrones, can't get them any more which is a pity because 79k miles out of a tyre - still with 3mm left - isn't too shoddy...)

Overall, I highly recommend the vehicle and would have another without hesitation. If you can squeeze a better deal out of the garage and you've found one you like, why not? Good luck!

Hi chaps. After much searching and internal deliberation I have decided to 'go for it'. I can't better the part ex valuation, its a really tidy example, and its been fettled all week by the dealer to my whingeing insistence! Full service with all filters, 12 mths LR warranty and roadside assist, 6mths tax, full MOT, new mats, new washer blades, new washer motor, air con recharge, new roof rails (none were on), new spare wheel cover and they are going to replace the crankcase filter (albeit with another LR part not the BMW part - although I tried!).

Pick up Friday lunchtime, and I CANT WAIT!!

Will I be saying that in 6mths time..........??? Hope so.

Hi chaps. After much searching and internal deliberation I have decided to 'go for it'. I can't better the part ex valuation, its a really tidy example, and its been fettled all week by the dealer to my whingeing insistence! Full service with all filters, 12 mths LR warranty and roadside assist, 6mths tax, full MOT, new mats, new washer blades, new washer motor, air con recharge, new roof rails (none were on), new spare wheel cover and they are going to replace the crankcase filter (albeit with another LR part not the BMW part - although I tried!).

Pick up Friday lunchtime, and I CANT WAIT!!

Will I be saying that in 6mths time..........??? Hope so.

On the topic of roof rails all Sport models, HSE and SE should have rails as standard (from new) S and E models do not. However I have noticed alot of Freelanders that have them removed and to be honest the hippo looks miles better with a set of rails. I think this is mostly due to people removing the rails when selling their freelander and trying to make a bit of extra cash.

Bit of a result. Not only did they reisntate the rails, but found some cross bars too complete with storage bag. This is a real bonus as I was going to buy a roof rack at the weekend and now I dont have to. They put a brand new hard spare wheel cover on too.

Happy? you bet. chuffed. And a landrover umbrella in the boot on collection too :)

Why have your sport decals been removed?

The dealership said that it wasn't uncommon for people to spec the car new without them. couldn't offer any other explanation other than most sports seemed to come back in without them - think it was because they looked a bit mickey mouse. Not sure.