Defender Tow Mud Flaps

Hi Everyone,

I know a lot of you use Defenders as tow vehicles and I'd like to do a little market research:

Does your vehicle have mud flaps? If so, do they protect you trailer, boat or caravan from stone chips and dirt?

Would a wider/longer, more durable mud flap be a better option?

Many Thanks

Benn

I was planning something to solve that problem, a mud flap thats a little wider and maybe longer to accommodate wider tyres?

Sounds good....will this new size also come with stronger brackets as the standard LR fitment might not take the extra weight :unsure:

Having just re-chassis'd my truck, i am amazed that no-one has ever made some arch liners for the rear tub, to stop the carp getting into the crossmember for one, why oh why didn;t land rover make the plastic wiring shield in the back of the tub bigger to cover the ends of the crosmember, and maybe go inboard slightly to cover the central bit, one on the front on the drivers side would be good too, to stop the carp getting all around the fuel tank area..... i have extended the galv front arch liners to stop the carp getting all over the floor area, and cover the outrigger...... why has no-one ever made moulded plastic liners...???

Having just re-chassis'd my truck, i am amazed that no-one has ever made some arch liners for the rear tub, to stop the carp getting into the crossmember for one, why oh why didn;t land rover make the plastic wiring shield in the back of the tub bigger to cover the ends of the crosmember, and maybe go inboard slightly to cover the central bit, one on the front on the drivers side would be good too, to stop the carp getting all around the fuel tank area..... i have extended the galv front arch liners to stop the carp getting all over the floor area, and cover the outrigger...... why has no-one ever made moulded plastic liners...???

I think the latest front liners are plastic. I had toyed with the idea of getting some new plastic fronts, and seeing if the old fronts couldn't be modded to fit the rear, and save the floor supports etc. But yes, it's amazing that in something that's supposed to go offroad, the vulnerabilty to mud is so colossal. You'd expect it to be all smooth and lovely so that it just ran off rather than had to have mud jetwashed from every crevice. The wiring shields fit where they touch. The tub gets full of mud where it leaks past them. And the wiring just seems to dangle across the rear crossmember. Should really be inside either trunking or the bodywork. I do recall reading someone had made some rear mudshields from conveyor belting. Good idea but quite heavy. Try finding a waterproof 7 or 13 pin towing socket as well. They are designed to leak. Looking at switching to Bulgin Buccaneer sealed sockets with adaptors., as I'm sick of having to change sockets more or less annually. Ok if you are going into mud over the bonnet it's going to get everywhere, but if you just have to cross a few inches of it, it shouldn't be such an issue.

Nigel

"Bulgin Buccaneer sealed sockets"

can you tell us more?

Or here. They do a 12 pin one and they are IP68 rated with 5A capacity per pin, even when connected. And you can get blanking ends to seal up the plugs and sockets when not in use, and to seal the cable to the back of the sockets, eg when on your towing bracket. I know they aren't standard, but having had some scroat prise at the hitchlock on my horse trailer I'd be happy for it to be more awkward for them to plug the electrics into their Transit pickup. I intend making adaptors for normal plugs, but keep them indoors. The extra pins will be handy too.

I can't see the sense of exposing stop light indicator and sidelight connections etc to wet and mud when you depend on them to not short out. If you drive in any depth of water or spray normal trailer sockets are going to fill up with it.