Can I run engines on heating oil?

bobed90

I currently work for a driving experience centre. All of our vehicles run on red diesel as they are all used off road. Due to the huge increases in fuel costs, red diesel is now around £1 a litre. Im looking for a simple and cheaper alternative. Heating oil is currently at around 65p per litre so that would be quite a saving. What is the difference between the 2 fuels and would I have any issues in running them in a 300tdi or 2.5n/a or any engine really.

All help and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks Jason

My mate used to run his Rover 214 on half heating oil diesel and half regular. I've been asking some similar question recently mainly with the difference in grade between auto grade and heating grade - more for the reason of having to top up my heating oil tank with Auto disel as stocks of heating fuel is pretty thin just now up here...

A mate runs 50:50 mix in some of his 'off road' vehicles to use up the 200 or so litres he had left over after converting to gas, IIRC he just adds a small amount of cheap 20w50 to it to help with the lubrication properties, as heating oil is more volatile.

The vehicles that use the fuel, have not and will not ever go on the road again. They are totally for offroad use so there are no legal issues with regards to the fuel. Im just looking at cheaper alternatives as red has doubled in price in the last few years to a point that for a company that provides leisure activities (an industry very hard hit by the recesion) it is becoming unbearable.

My other option was maybe doing a veg oil and diesel mix but as some of the fuel tanks on the vehicles hold over 300 litres of fuel thats a lot of mixing. I was also wondered if there would be any separation between the veg oil and diesel if it was left for any period of time.

Thanks Jason

Are you familiar with the magazine Practical Performance Car?

In the current edition, marked Jan 2011, Charlie Broomfields Staff Car saga is about his experiences creating a biodiesel 'distilling plant'.

There was a precurser article in the October 2010 edition, and Charlie will update us on progress in the Feb edition (out 27th Jan, or the last Thursday of every month).

HTH

When I took our old oil boiler out the tank had 100-200 litres of oil left, I ran my 200tdi 90 on it mixed with diesel - as stated above for lubricant worries and had no issues, the last of it got used to tow a 24' caravan to Glastonbury and went ok.

wouldnt shout that out too lound as mr tax man wont be happy at all