Strange Alternator

Hello all i have been having some bad experience with fitting new alternator to defender 90 (1989) with a 200tdi out a a discovery, basically what im getting is when i connect upto D+ for the 12v from battery and B+ for the 12v to dash battery light im getting too high voltage to the battery and dash light as in around 30v, you can smell the new battery frying!!

so after research on the net i moved the battery 12v onto the W terminal and just took of the B+ to the dash light and its charging nicely at 16~17v to the battery but the on terminal D+ and B+ im getting 33v although nothing is connected to them.

then when you turn the ign off the battery just discharges itself over night, i have been checking earths and done a ohms test and im getting ohms reading from alt to body, body to batt etc etc,

has anyone got any advice as im really struggling with this now and need the vechicle running, is it just a dud alternator or battery?? they were both brand new when fitted last week, alternator which was taken off was the same but i never checked it out too much just replaced it when it was suspect to be faulty.

any help would be great.

From a post by forum member Western

Lucas

ind = warning light

+ = main output to battery/starter

S = battery sense [not on all alternators]

Other alternators

D+,61,L,lamp,N = warning light

B,B+,Bat,30 = main output to battery/starter

S = battery

Isn't W the tachograph output....so you won;t be using that........

has anyone got any advice as im really struggling with this now and need the vechicle running, is it just a dud alternator or battery??

The alternator was probably fine until you wired it up incorrectly.

Hopefully when you wire it correctly, you'll be ok, but if anything's got smelly, don't be too surprised if parts are now damaged.