Fleebay add...

Maverik

its not about counting rivets really its about counting alan wickers, people who really know nothing about landrovers but would love to own one spend good money on their dream machine..and with all the new laws from the whores about emmisions etc a man oughtta know what hes gettin himself in to.

when we are spendin thooousands we want exactly what it says on the tin!! <_<

This is a fairpoint. There are many potential owners out there who could very easily buy what looks like a gem and end up with endless tales of woe.

Since a member on here knows the builder of the vehicle, it would be very helpful if it could be explained how this is vehicle qualified to wear the ID of a 1960s Landrover.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable of things Landrover, I am aware of the whole points system for various parts of the original vehicle, and can tell the difference between a coiler and a leafer.

However, on the surface of things the truck mentioned doesn't have any obvious Series II parts, apart from the ID plate in the footwell.

I do not wish to dive in and shout 'ringer' etc, but I'd be interested to know how this all adds up, and so should any potential buyer.

This is a valid thread to follow with several important issues.

All the evidence from other posters suggests the vehicle in question is not stolen / unsafe etc and was well made at the time.

Its technical identity can still be an issue though.

Many years ago (pre SVA years) me and a friend both built spaceframe vehicles in the style of what became bowlers / wildcats etc. A cut down Range Rover chassis with a full roll cage but the general shape and appearance of a 88" series 1. His was finished first and fitted with a chassis plate and reg number from a series 1 (he had broken the series 1 himself and it was definately perminantly off the road, the only series 1 parts actually used were the doors) taxed and MOT'ed. The vehicle was seen in his garage by a Police officer who knew exactly what it was and he was told if it was caught on the road it would be siezed with quite list of possible offences as it was not what it claimed to be. The officer worked for the vehicle identification branch (stolen vehicles?) at the time and owned a similar spaceframed vehicle himself so had looked up all the regs and asked the question of more senior officers to ensure he was legal and correct with is vehicle. I believe he subsiquently wrote an article which appeared in the Cornwall and Devon LR club news letter.

In this case it was a friendly warning and both vehicles were given the identities of the Range rovers that donated the chassis and most of the running gear. The friends vehicle was subsiquently siezed after he had sold it in an unrelated enquire relating to stolen parts (due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time), it was fully inspected and found to be legal although he was contacted by the new owner to provide info on the build and importanty the date of the build to prove it was pre SVA.

The are a lot of people who are prepared to push the limit and interpretation of the laws and mostly get away with it, either by luck or by running into police officers who don't actually know the specific law or the vehicles well enough to know otherwise. If thye are fine by me just don't crash into me as the insurance could be dodgy.

Other people for various reasons want or need to be completely and definately legal so will try and conform to the most stringent interpretation of the regulations, this type of thread lets them do this.

Latecomer to this thread, I notice that the Seller has changed the title to '90 V8 Hybrid (Tax Exempt)' so that sorts out the concerns of some on here.....maybe.

The DVLA '8 point rule' has been around for about 30 years so pre or post SVA is irrelevant. Caveat Emptor