Mog/LR Hybrid axle

Soren Frimodt

:i-m_so_happy:

I'm liking the juxtaposition of a jerry can, a wind generator and a mad LandRover made by recycled Ubersteel :D

.....in the right circles that would be prizewinning Installation art :P

We need a bit flexing and mudplugging in the next one Soren

cheers

Steveb

I simply cannot grasp how easy this whole project has been, and to add to it we found the activation of the rear locker to be even easier! We had a clever plan to use the handbrake lever to activate the rearlocker and therefore have a cable (ie. no air-troubles in the cold winter months) As he has fitted a LT77 off of a disco he has the handbrake on top of the seatbox. So he had the original defender mounting spare. So he simply put the lever back in the hole and used the defender cable and hooked it to the spring and fork on the diff, how easy is that?! :D And it has the perfect length ;)

Yes offroad pictures and possibly video will come, watch this space ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

These axles are now up for sale! Do to the fact that my brother got an offer on some big Mickey Thompson tyres for 16" rim that he could not resist. So for the time being he has gone back to stock LR axles and is in dire need for some funding to upgrade the silly LR stuff. So if anyone is interested, PM me. It'll come as a complete kit ready bolt under, except for the fact that there is no diff in the front axle, but this is just a 24 spline defender/disco unit, no mods needed to fit it, he just took the old one out because it had a locker. And depending on price, we could throw in a diff with no locker (std. LR item)

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread a bit here :)

As my brother decided to go LR axle again on his 90" due to the acquirement of some other tyres, he decided not to sell the Mog axles as they still offer a lot of potential, though they are not quite necessary for the kind of offroading we do in Denmark. So having sat for a while in the corner of his garage, we decided to fit them under our beloved old banger the '84 3,5 Hi-Comp automatic Range Rover (known as race rover)

And today we just completed the installation and is bound to be heading for three full weeks of abusing it in the vacation.

Anywho here's a pic and a little video:

post-9137-0-29189300-1340471113_thumb.jpg

The vid:

• 1 year later...

Just bumped this thread Soren because #1, it was slipping away into oblivion on page 10. And #2,I have a couple of questions?

How are the Rover components and the cut and shut shafts of the front axle holding up under whatever truck they are currently fitted to?

Secondly, If one wasn't too concerned about widening the track width, would it not be easier to weld the mog swivel mounting flanges directly to the original Rover swivel ball mounting flanges?

I think I may have talked a friend into fitting Mog/Rover hybrid axles to his 40 series Landcruiser, and any feedback from your conversion would be appreciated.

Bill.

Hi Bill, well apparently it had slipped so much into oblivion that I didn't notice you had bumped it! :o But thankfully a mate of mine mentioned it :)

As of right now they are not fitted to anything. But before we put them under the Rangie on which they were lastly fitted, we checked the axles, and one had twisted just a wee bit right at the sleeve, it was barely noticeable, but still there nonetheless. It it didn't give up though, before the Rangie was scrapped. So I'd say it definitely is a way to do it, it will never be as strong as getting 'proper' shafts made, but it will work and can be used for a while until you either decide that what you have created is worth the money to spend on custom shafts, or just while you save up for them.

Well yes you could, and basically that is what we did? although we didn't use the flange that was already on the rover housings as it would actually have been more work than to swap out the flanges. And if it is because you would like to do it in such a way that you could swap for rover parts quickly, frankly it will just be easier to swap the whole housing, because you' have to flip the diff as well to get the right rotation.

And you really wouldn't want to use the Rover swivel arrangement, even though I think it is a great design, the double cardon of the Mog is just superior in strength (probably mostly down to its sheer size though)

All this being said though, the worst part of running Mog portals is the PITA of making a decent disc conversion that will run small wheels (15" and 16") without having the same width as a fullwidth Dana60!

If you have any specific questions, I'd be delighted to try to answer, so just shoot :)

Thankyou for your reply Soren. Yes I suppose Tools and Fabrication is not part of the daily browse for most of us. The modified vehicle forum would probably suit this thread better now.

The reason I would prefer to cut off and attach the Mog swivel flanges to the RangeRover banjo housing flanges is I believe it would be much easier to mount them square and concentric than it would be if welding them to the bare axle tubes, that are not perfectly round.

I agree with keeping the Mog steering knuckles than trying to retain the tiny RangeRover swivel housings. I used strengthened Stage One swivels on my own portals, but even so they required a 2nd bottom swivel bearing/brace.

When you welded the halfshafts to the sleeves, did you drill holes around the sleeve and then plug weld them? Or did you weld around the circumference? I have had some success with the former method when making a 'temporary' L/H/inner front shaft that is still going strong after more than a decade.

The problem with a Mog disc brake conversion over here in Australia is that we are not permitted to increase the scrub radius by more than 25mm each side. But a mate who successfully did a disc conversion to his Volvo axles within the regulations has also prototype machined down a Mog front hub and adapted a LandCruiser disc rotor and wheel stud pattern. It looks quite promising, and once again will be within our regulations.

Thanks again Soren. I will keep you posted on developments should my mate go ahead with the Mog/Rover hybrid axles.

Regards, Bill.

• 6 months later...