Twin Cab Roofs

minivin

A friend from Plymouth popped-up at the weekend with his 90, his intention is to modify his roof and is after just the back portion of a twin cab roof to do the modifications that he's planning (dunno really what, as I aint touched 90/110's to know what the full story is).

Has anyone made GRP replica's yet or is anyone nearing making them? just that it'll be easier to get a GRP portion made than procure a whole twin cab roof to then cut and shut

yeah, I initially thought that as well, but I think as the truck cab tapers down and he's after a foot or two of level portion that this was the reason he was going down this route, confused.com

There's also the issue of overall height; the standard defender TC roof is lower than the hardtop one. Plus, one also has a steel gutter, one has an ally one....

I'm going king cab iminently (in the next fortnight) although my supply of double cab roofs have now dried up which is causing issues (they give an excellant result very easily). I was at one point thinking about having king cab roofs made in fibreglass but I just don't have the time and I don't think there's really that big a market.

There's also the issue of overall height; the standard defender TC roof is lower than the hardtop one. Plus, one also has a steel gutter, one has an ally one....

I'm going king cab iminently (in the next fortnight) although my supply of double cab roofs have now dried up which is causing issues (they give an excellant result very easily). I was at one point thinking about having king cab roofs made in fibreglass but I just don't have the time and I don't think there's really that big a market.

ah, bummer, that's that line dried up then, he'll have to keep an eye out for crashed one's that are damaged, but they still fetch silly money :(

I looked at doing this - even have a nice design!

Unfortunatly, it's not as simple as just taking a cast of the part you want to copy as the material used for the cast shrinks a bit (usually 1%) as well as the part you make in the mould.

You thus have to make a bigger replica to make your initial mould.

1% does not sound a lot - but the 2% total gives about 3cm shrinkage across the width of a landy.

Not being or having a pro mould-maker, nor having won the lottery recently, the idea was abandoned!

Si