what is this piece of machinery?

ggeoff

That looks like the ABS valveblock to me.

Thanks Mark lightning response :) I have Googled using image search and found confirmation of your suggestion. My next question is would this component stay on when the engine has been switched off, it hasn't happened before and when I next used the car it didn't happen again. The ABS has been reacting oddly at times though.

the pump shouldn't be running all the time, it should only operate when one of the wheel speed sensors detects a wheel locking up. find the relay under the passenger dash and take it out, this will de activate the ABS system. you will still have normal brakes, just no ABS. sounds like you may either have a faulty relay somewhere, or need another valve block.

somewhere on here is the procedure on how to get the blink codes for fault diagnosis, if not then they are on the internet (search wabco ABS flash codes)

the pump shouldn't be running all the time, it should only operate when one of the wheel speed sensors detects a wheel locking up. find the relay under the passenger dash and take it out, this will de activate the ABS system. you will still have normal brakes, just no ABS. sounds like you may either have a faulty relay somewhere, or need another valve block.

somewhere on here is the procedure on how to get the blink codes for fault diagnosis, if not then they are on the internet (search wabco ABS flash codes)

Thanks very much for that advice disco_al :)

Hang on a second. The pump runs 'till it has presurised a reciever, like a small round tennis ball sometimes called an acumulator. this provides the instantanious pressure for the ABS to work.

the rear braking circuit may be provided from this pressure and if so will only be present with the BAS system runnig, I know that's the case with a RRC which is a similar WABCO system.

• 2 weeks later...
Hang on a second. The pump runs 'till it has presurised a reciever, like a small round tennis ball sometimes called an acumulator. this provides the instantanious pressure for the ABS to work.

the rear braking circuit may be provided from this pressure and if so will only be present with the BAS system runnig, I know that's the case with a RRC which is a similar WABCO system.

except the disco doesn't have the accumulator sphere on it. the abs is essentially an add on system with the disco, and the brakes are similar to a standard hydraulic braking system (apart from the master cyl). the abs literally just assists when needed, rather than being integral, like a lot of other systems.

other types of system do use the accumulator sphere, such as early 90's fords, mounted on the top of the master cylinder, which does indeed provide the instant response. the disco system uses a stand alone ecu and high pressure pump mounted on the valve block which fires when it's needed.