London Emission Zone

tweetyduck

Cat + pigeons - Adblue. Is it possible to retrofit? Has anyone ever asked a LR dealer to fit it to a new vehicle? On a completetly unrelated matter, how can the manufacturers of this stuff claim that it improves engine efficiency when its injected into the exhaust system?

Answers on a postcard please, because I'm going into hiding now.

Its used by the catalyser so needs to go in the exhaust

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdBlue

Pigs urine isn't it?

My 1994 defender CSW had 12 seats in it when i bought it, it now has five seats but there is no mention of the number of seats on the log book, it is listed as non complaint which is a pain as i live on the edge of LEZ.

Log book states light 4x4 utility, hope to get this changed to estate.

I was at pure fuels a while ago in my 300tdi. They said it was possible to have the engine and exhaust modified in order to become Euro III and Euro IV compliant and then get a VOSA test. Were they talking out of their a*ses, or is there something to what they said?

It does indeed mean vehicles that use public roads occasionally and incidently to their usual purpose but are usually off road ie on building sites, farms and the like.

Driving on roads to get to a comp/pay & play is different to using a road to cross from one area of land to another which is why a vehicle that is registered as an agricultural vehicle has restrictions on it for the distances it can travel on road. It's also why you see forklift trucks and diggers bring transported from one building site to another on the back of a truck.

This may not be what people want to hear.. but we knew this was coming years ago.

People may not want to change their vehicles, but what is the option?

£100 a day is not an option so I've not even considered a hardtop for some time, one of the reasons I got the Station Wagon over a year ago.

Well the options for me are to either sell my 110 300tdi Hardtop & buy a later model, to change the engine or to buy a Eurobox and keep my Defender at my brother's place which is outside the LEZ.

As much as I like my current Defender, I'm thinking that buying a later model makes the most sense.

This may not be what people want to hear.. but we knew this was coming years ago.

Even knowing it was coming, it still grates on those that live within/on the border of the LEZ and have spent much time and thousands of pounds perfecting their vehicles for whatever use they have for them. For the government to simply say, pay us £100 a day or buy a new vehicle (lossing money on your original one in the process) is ridiculous. If buying a new vehicle now, i agree it would be silly to buy one that is not LEZ exempt if you intend to go in the zone, but this doesnt help those that have had their trucks for the last 20 years and dont want to part with them.

If mine were not now exempt, i would be dropping the diesel out and fitting a great big v8 into it - firstly as an excuse to fit the v8 and secondly for the irony of driving a vehicle that pollutes more than those they have banned around the zone!

Even knowing it was coming, it still grates on those that live within/on the border of the LEZ and have spent much time and thousands of pounds perfecting their vehicles for whatever use they have for them. For the government to simply say, pay us £100 a day or buy a new vehicle (lossing money on your original one in the process) is ridiculous. If buying a new vehicle now, i agree it would be silly to buy one that is not LEZ exempt if you intend to go in the zone, but this doesnt help those that have had their trucks for the last 20 years and dont want to part with them.

If mine were not now exempt, i would be dropping the diesel out and fitting a great big v8 into it - firstly as an excuse to fit the v8 and secondly for the irony of driving a vehicle that pollutes more than those they have banned around the zone!

Yeah I agree it's the complete lack of logic that annoys me! If I am understanding the chart properly then a 300TDI station wagon would comply, but because my Defender is a hardtop it is classed as commercial and is a fail even though I don't use it for trade - it's my offroading, green laning and fishing wagon!

Just seen a nice TD5 that is compliant and seriously considering buying it. Knowing my luck though they will probably tighten the rules and I'll end up with a Puma engined Defender! :angry::huh:

Best solution, and one that I am considering, is to just move away. :)

That is the stupidest thing though!!!

My carbon footprint and emissions to and from work only increase if I have a curry the previous night!!

I can look out of my bedroom window and see my work!!!! Normally I walk to work both ways. At the moment I'm recovering from a very bad bout of sciatica and I mainly get a bus in the morning.

Anyway my point is that the the Defender doesn't get used much Monday to Friday! Tax should be based on usage - you know it makes sense!!!!

Best solution, and one that I am considering, is to just move away. :)

Im with you there, I can hear the New Forest calling.

On the lack of comman sence ,my zuk is not even envolved with lez and has cheap road tax but is without doubt the most greedy polluting(less mpg than a 450hp rs6) pos I have ever owned

Well I never got to sheet 5 for the land rover anyway as on sheet1 it says "mainly built for off-road" so I am exempt full stop!

it doesn't mean off-road in the same way we mean off-road. It means plant, tractors, diggers etc etc that only use roads on the odd occasion and in a way that is only incidental to their main purpose (ie moving from one building site/farm field to another). These vehicles are often registered and insured for very limited use on roads, for example a vehicle registered as an agricultural vehicle can only travel a short distance on public roads and only in the event that it is passing from one part of agricultural land to another.

I wonder if the LEZ will have a negative impact on non compliant vehicle prices??

Only one way to find out - I'm putting my 110 on eBay later today!

Interesting: thus far 8 watchers and more than a few chancers asking me to end the auction early for a paltry sum!!

0n my 1990 90 the log book says 90 4c sw dt diesel, sw station wagon yes?

vin decoding it says pick up, utility, or soft top??

my other 90 on a 1994 the log book says light utility 4x4

vin decoding also says pick up, utility, or soft top

i may play dumb and go with the flow chart as the 1990 will have seats in the back and a canvas top but no windows

and the 1994 has windows in the back and 2 seats

like sum people i no need to go into london but being so close i may well do

0n my 1990 90 the log book says 90 4c sw dt diesel, sw station wagon yes?

vin decoding it says pick up, utility, or soft top??

my other 90 on a 1994 the log book says light utility 4x4

vin decoding also says pick up, utility, or soft top

i may play dumb and go with the flow chart as the 1990 will have seats in the back and a canvas top but no windows

and the 1994 has windows in the back and 2 seats

like sum people i no need to go into london but being so close i may well do

Good luck to you then. Playing dumb may cost you £500 per day. Ignorance as they say is no defence in law!

EDIT Just noticed the Defender Hardtop representation on the Penalty Charges Page on the TFL website!

Edited by gazelle