London Emission Zone

tweetyduck

What's also crazy is that petrol vehicles are exempt, so I can take my 88" into London doing 12mpg on petrol, but not my 90 doing 31mpg on diesel.

The reason petrols are exempt (regardless of mpg) is because the LEZ is part of Londons attempt to meet European targets on air quality. The air quality targets are related to the emissions which are most hazardous to personal health - notably particulate emissions, rather than CO2.

Diesel engines (particulary in stop start traffic) produce many times more particulates than petrol engines, which by comparison are very 'clean'.

London is not going to achieve its targets and we the tax payer will probably have to foot the bill for massive penalties as it is.

Regards, Diff.

The reason petrols are exempt (regardless of mpg) is because the LEZ is part of Londons attempt to meet European targets on air quality. The air quality targets are related to the emissions which are most hazardous to personal health - notably particulate emissions, rather than CO2.

Diesel engines (particulary in stop start traffic) produce many times more particulates than petrol engines, which by comparison are very 'clean'.

London is not going to achieve its targets and we the tax payer will probably have to foot the bill for massive penalties as it is.

Regards, Diff.

Spot on.

Just had an interesting email from TFL asking for photos of my Defender as part of the "validation" process they are undertaking.

There may be hope yet (for CSW owners at least)!

Bizzare message received today!

We'd like to thank you for the proofs you've provided already, but in

this circumstance we need more. Please provide written proof from the

manufacturer confirming the Euro status of your vehicle, making sure

that the letter confirms the Vehicle Registration Mark and the VIN

(Chassis) number.

Looks like it will be easier to get it reclassified as an estate car with DVLA after all.

Martin

• 1 month later...

Hi, Has anyone managed to progress this ??? It has now become a problem for my 1999 TD5. I have a CSW that is registered as a light utility, however I think mine started life as a commercial and has been converted (Not by me) at some stage....... I asked DVLA to change the body descriptive to Estate but they ahve said I have to go the the MANUFACTURER, not Dealer and get them to "Agree" with me. Landrover say they cannot change the data that was submitted when the vehicle was manufactured......... This is made more annoying when you think that Defenders are purposefully designed and constructed to be interchangeable and converted as required......

My TD5 has the appearencxe in all aspects of a CSW with five seats. The rear is setuo for camping with cupboards and a stove/ fridge etc. It is not used in any way shape or form for any commercial purpose..... I live within the M25 death zone.

Any help would be appreciated,

cheers

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Now classified as an estate with DVLA - Compliance checker now reads :Compliant from 2012.

Result!

Martin

Out of curiosity I assume your Defender is not older than a Td5? Since the DVLA are kicking up a fuss and LR seem to be trying to clean their hands of the whole mess they're not confirming whether any <Td5 vehicles were intended chiefly as passenger vehicles (the long and the short my 300Tdi 110 may be lumped together with Utility 4x4s - I've failed on a few occasions to get them to re-classify it and will probably just ignore London for the moment given that I'm moving to near Farnham).

Out of curiosity I assume your Defender is not older than a Td5? Since the DVLA are kicking up a fuss and LR seem to be trying to clean their hands of the whole mess they're not confirming whether any <Td5 vehicles were intended chiefly as passenger vehicles (the long and the short my 300Tdi 110 may be lumped together with Utility 4x4s - I've failed on a few occasions to get them to re-classify it and will probably just ignore London for the moment given that I'm moving to near Farnham).

It is a TD5. If you do a search on this topic there are a number of threads that come up, one of which recently listed the text of a bulletin sent to LR dealers about the status of CSWs. It was on the basis of confirming the statement with the supplying dealer, that I have asked for the body type to be changed.

EDIT : Found it here

Well it's going to stop a lot of Defender/Series owners from doing it! I heard a rumor that they were planning on changing the start point to allow for it, and that this year was the last run to start from the palace.

I'll go in my 88", which being a 'clean' petrol is allowed. Despite doing 15mpg. All for the sake of a few particulates.

Yeah, but mother nature was bought out by HSBC last year....

It is a bit of a pain just how far the LEZ extends from the hell hole cultural centre that is London itself, I took a wrong turn off the M25 last year and ended up on the M4 heading into London. Actually went into the LEZ, past the cameras and all that.

Was bricking it until I got home and found I was still exempt!

I know that feeling I did something similar but on the M3.

I wonder how you would stand though if you threw a matress in the back and said it had been specifically converted into a "Motor caravan".