Advice on wading kit needed.

Trevorevans

Hi guys I'm after a little help and advice, I've been looking to get a wading kit for a while now as I realise that driving through deep water without one is not doing my motor the world of good and could end up being very expensive. I have come across lots of kits but have found one on flebay made up of top quality air line and air line fittings for a very reasonable price, I was just about to buy when another ad caught my eye now this threw up something that I'd not heard of before, the ad reads - 'They consist of all the breather pipes for the axles, gearbox/transfer box and timing cover which include the replacement access cover to correctly seal the timing box area'. Now I know what all the pipes do/where they go but am confused by the 'replacement access cover' what is this?. Also I have been advised not to fit a permanant breather to the timing cover as this can cause a build up of debris inside the cover and cause damage, and informed that fitting the wading plug before a days off roading and removing after is a much better option. So what I'm asking is what is the described cover? and do I realy need it as this adds significant cost to the kit. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Covers as mentioned would be a rubber/plastic bolt effect. These block the hole in the bottom of the timing cover and bell housing, to stop water getting in. If you fit them, and leave them in, then you would run the risk of damage to the timing belt/clutch if there is an oil leak on either end of the engine as they are actually blocking drain holes.

HTH

The access cover is on the front of the timing case, I think its there get access to the fuel pump pulley maybe? But it should be sealed itself anyway.

If you do fit breathers you will need to drain the oil that will inevitable leak from them now and again. Mine leaks even with these fittings in so I don't do it often.

Wading plugs are fine, but with breathers you can just drain them whenever your under the truck and have a spare 2 mins, whereas you should really take the plugs out when you get home from off roading.

HTH

The cover supplied replaces the one you have the covers the fuel pump inspection hole. It's simply a replacement plate thick enough to be drilled and tapped to take a pneumatic push-fit fitting.

This is a better solution to fitting the breather to the drain hole - which is exactly that. It should be checked to make sure the timing chest (or bellhousing) isn't filling up with out. Fitting a breather doesn't change that.

don't forget the fuel pump breathers, the fuel tank breather, master cylinders and header tank all vent to atmosphere are can suck in water too.

Do I really need to go that far? I'm talking green laning here not competition/trial and by deep water I mean such levels as encountered on Strata Florida and the like. Though the fuel tank breather is included in the kit I am looking at. I'm more confused about the other kit where a new access cover for the timing cover is included as I have no idea what this is.

Do I really need to go that far? I'm talking green laning here not competition/trial and by deep water I mean such levels as encountered on Strata Florida and the like. Though the fuel tank breather is included in the kit I am looking at. I'm more confused about the other kit where a new access cover for the timing cover is included as I have no idea what this is.

TBH I havn't, I never go in up to the sills because the floor is too rusty, I have the ECU and bits of the ICE plus I hate the smell of wet carpets.

the fuel pumps and vac pump on the TDi are probably the next thing after the fuel tank, the master cylinders can be taped over for the day or a bit of cling film, which also works for the PAS reservoir, or a balloon etc.

Later V8s also have the charcoal cannister on the inner wing, the cruise control pump, the battery etc.

There's so many things that aren't designed to be submerged, even keeping it below the sills I've had a lot of axle problems with water.