Which 100" Chassis ?

Are RR and Disco chassis not identical anyway :unsure:

110 chassis has deeper chassis rails I think, more rigid but may make other things harder.

Rear overhang (and hence fuel tank arrangement) is worth thinking about. RR/Disco is going to be the easiest thing to get hold of for cheap.

For ease of registering the vehicle, may I suggest you buy a new chassis from some like Richards, which is a 100" defender chassis? There are lots of complicated laws out there which basically means if you start with an RRC and chop the chassis up, it requires an IVA for £450, if you buy a new 100" chassis specifically made for the job, you pay just £150 to get the vehicle inspected. Of course you would need to check this with VOSA/DVLA before you commit, don't just take my word for it :)

It would save a huge amount of work as well of course, if you haven't, go watch 'A 4x4 is Born' to see the extent of the chassis modifications required from a stock RRC chassis to make a defender body fit.... it is not insignificant!

HTH :)

Which 100" Chassis ?

Hi Think im going to build a 100" defender and in your opinion which is the best chassis as a starting point , RR classic,Disco or shortened 110 ?

Bought mine new from Richards chassis - with a view to it (hopefully) being easier to register! It's essentially a 90 chassis but stretched 7.1" behind the rear bulkhead. Richards do offer a few options with their 100" chassis, king cab, over hang lengths (90 or 110), engine type, etc.

The richards chassis are made from thicker steel than standard land rover chassis too(especially td5 chassis) and (i think) the defender style of chassis has bigger rails than a discovery / range rover chassis.

P38's and possibly Disco2's they did change some bits, I think P38's are a bit longer wheelbase, no idea what the D2 is like underneath.

the front chassis is a different shape on the P38 compared to a 'normal' LR (i.e. steering box on the outside).

G

Foggy,

If you don't mind me asking - how much was your 100" chassis from richards? They don't list a price on their website.

Think it was under £1500 (chassis, +removable gearbox xmember, +delivery, +vat), roughly half way between their 90 and 110 chassis prices at the time.

Think it was under £1500 (chassis, +removable gearbox xmember, +delivery, +vat), roughly half way between their 90 and 110 chassis prices at the time.

Just found the invoice.

It was £1509.88 inc vat - 100" 200tdi defender galvanised chassis (standard size cab, 90 rear overhang, side mounted fuel tank, ARB mounts and bolt in gearbox cross member).