Rear axles

L835

Hi, quick question! I have a scrap 90 that I'm using as a source of spares for my 110, well the front half anyway! Will the rear axle fit a 110, I know it's not as strong but as it's there should I keep it?

Thanks

Richard

It's not about what it will take load wise, it's about what it is designed and rated to take.

The point is, Land Rover have said that axle will happily carry X kg. Your 110 is more than X kg and even though the axle will probably be fine with it, the fact that you're using it not as designed is what would come back to bite you in the backside if there was ever a complication.

And by complication I mean some sort of accident and then the police/whoever going over your vehicle with a fine-toothed comb to look for details. Just remember the recent sad case of a yellow 110 and a river.

Realistically, if you fitted a 90 axle to the back of a 110, and were involved in an accident, you would more than likely end up in jail...

Exactly. Definitely not worth the risk. Especially as LR axles are cheap as chips.

if the 90 rear axle WAS OK to fit on a 110 then I'm sure LR would have used it when the 110 came on the market in 1983.

110 can carry more payload [inside the load bay] than any 90, plus 110 is a heavier vehicle which also means that weight must be taken in to account too.

so can someone explain why LR now put a standard landrover housing on the back of new 110 pumas?

the only difference is the 4 pin diff instead of 2 pin that you find in normal axle housings. I believe LR only put the salisbury on the back for its diff and shaft strength due to additional loads and NOT because of the housing strength, otherwise how would they be able to use the normal housing on new 110's?

so can someone explain why LR now put a standard landrover housing on the back of new 110 pumas?

the only difference is the 4 pin diff instead of 2 pin that you find in normal axle housings. I believe LR only put the salisbury on the back for its diff and shaft strength due to additional loads and NOT because of the housing strength, otherwise how would they be able to use the normal housing on new 110's?

it's not a standard 90 diff casing, it's a variant of the P38 RR/XD Wolf 110 casing, but without the under tube bracing.