Help Help Help

MITCHF

Here's the story -

Had the intermitent starting problem, not turning over, just nothing. (occasionally)

Got more frequent, leave it a few minutes and it fires, then it get's longer before it'll start.

Got on here and read some posts - checked my battery / Green box appears in tact and conected and secure , can't find any fuse issues (that I can see) , bonnet switch ok , key fob battery replaced.

Its a 96 300TDI Auto Disco XS , Twin button fob.

Then I'm thinking "Spider" read the process and viewed Bogbuster pics etc, right I'll sort it myself.

Off to Halfords , got my manual, up at 8am with a day off.

Followed the process step by step, (great post btw)

This was time consuming but quite easy.

Then, excited, I pull away the consule, guess what.....no @@@@@@~~~g Spider.

I don't think I'm fly by wire as the cable operates direct from the pedal (pic), how do I know if it's EDC and if it is , what's the fix ?

Here's some pics, I have found some things that may help (or be unrelated)

The top of the pump has three wires that appear to have been cut at some point (pic).

There is a black connecter block hanging redundent under the drivers side.(pic)

When I turn the ignition there is a small clicking coming from the lower left passenger footwell.

There is one positive to my woe full story so far, I have replaced the little bulb on my heater controls so they'll be illumiontade at night now :)

Here's some pic's, anyone local to me , North Wales ?

Shall I put the dash back together ?

post-19045-0-56792100-1295010032_thumb.jpg

post-19045-0-57041300-1295010059_thumb.jpg

post-19045-0-25426700-1295010121_thumb.jpg

post-19045-0-22936700-1295010165_thumb.jpg

post-19045-0-08370100-1295010728_thumb.jpg

firstly, yours is non edc. if it had the edc (electronic diesel control) then you wouldn't have a throttle cable.

the bit on top of the injector pump is the remains of the egr (exhaust gas recirculation) system, which looks like it's been removed, or just disconnected. Have a look on your turbo, if you have a strange looking mushroom shaped object on there, with a steel pipe running to the inlet hose of the manifold, then the egr valve is still in place.

as for the missing spider, that's a mystery, unless it's already been removed in the past, and the bypass fitted.

the non starting problem does sound like the immoniliser not playing, although it could also be a dodgy starter relay, or even a dodgy starter motor. does it turn over quickly when it works, or is it quite lazy sounding - almost as if the battery is low on charge?

Try running another earth cable from the block to battery earth.

My 300 tdi manual did all this and after months of parking on hills just in case I needed to bump her.

I had another earth cable made up to run from the battery earth to the air con block and never looked back.

Just a thought and easy to try with a couple of crocodile clips and a piece of cable. :)

Good luck