Dishwasher As A Parts Cleaner

geoffbeaumont

I know this was covered extensively on the other place, but I can't go there anymore :(

Several people on here have recommended using a dishwasher for parts washing - is this okay for alloy parts?

Any idea where I can get salt free dishwasher powder? And is that still caustic (think that would rule out doing alloy bits)? Would washing powder (for clothes) be any good?

In Australia at the moment we have an ad on TV at the moment where a guy puts a T Bird rocker cover and a spanner in the dishwasher but his wife finds the stuff - confronts him - and whacks him in the head with the spanner - to which he replies - fair enough.

Seemed to clean the T Bird rocker cover OK.

The Ad did get plenty of complaints as it is demeaning to men! The complaints review people dismissed the complaint.

Gazzz

Works fine!

The dishwasher or washing powder (judging by the foam :lol: )?

Edited to say:

Or alloy bits? Obviously they are fine...

Used a little bit to much washing powder (thought I would do some extra washing liquid just to be sure, so it came out around the door all over the kitchen floor. The nice part is that the floor was very clean afterwards. My roommate wasn't very amused but hey it's my dishwasser :D:D

Cheers Bowy

In Australia at the moment we have an ad on TV at the moment where a guy puts a T Bird rocker cover and a spanner in the dishwasher but his wife finds the stuff - confronts him - and whacks him in the head with the spanner - to which he replies - fair enough.

Seemed to clean the T Bird rocker cover OK.

The Ad did get plenty of complaints as it is demeaning to men! The complaints review people dismissed the complaint.

Gazzz

That is a great add. Mildly miffed my self when i saw that when iwas in Sydney a couple of months ago

I know this was covered extensively on the other place, but I can't go there anymore :(

Several people on here have recommended using a dishwasher for parts washing - is this okay for alloy parts?

Any idea where I can get salt free dishwasher powder? And is that still caustic (think that would rule out doing alloy bits)? Would washing powder (for clothes) be any good?

have know a few mates that have done it.

I use the washing machine to wash my strops, rope , and winch rope (plasma). Comes up a treat

I use the washing machine to wash my strops, rope , and winch rope (plasma). Comes up a treat

Yep - all my caving gear (including ropes and tapes) goes through the washing machine. Just don't use any powder or softener. Ideally, use a separate machine that doesn't ever have powder in it, but not many of us run to that!

You have to be careful of alloy parts - something in the dishwasher powder really eats it.

Never done LR parts but done a few other parts and they came up well enough.

Hmm, that was what was worrying me. Certainly takes the shine of alloy pots if they find their way in accidentally. Guess I'll give it a try with the rocker covers before I put anything really vital in there.

I also found that after cleaning they initially look really good but prety soon they fur up as the alloy starts to oxidise rapidly. :( so I'd recommend giving the new stuff a good dozing of WD to try and provide some protection.