Simex tyres

looking to go up in the world from my 285.75 insa turbo special tracks (which are fab) and I wanted some boggers. but by the time i get beadlocks so i can run the 37's down to a size of 36 for comps and get my front axle internals hardened (already done the back) im out of money. (oh and then the spare set of tyres for road use... ouch thats lots of pennies)

Looking at simex insted as i hear they are better on the road than insas as they are not remoulds and offer similar levels of grip (so plenty, but wont snap half shafts/CV by just looking at them, unlike boggers) but come in bigger sizes.

35/11.50 R 15 Extreme Trekker look like the insas (2 tread blocks in middle)

post-20648-0-13687100-1295282399_thumb.jpg

36/12.50 R 16 Extreme Trekker look like this with 3 blocks in the centre

post-20648-0-45901400-1295282337_thumb.jpg

a) why have they done this?

b) anyone used both to notice a difference on/off road?

c)do people think its worth going from 33'' to 36'' tyres/ does what i said make sence? lol

finaly..

d) so simex come up under, over or the correct height?

thanks for the help guys and girls

Pete

a) no idea

b) Off road, the general concensus is that the 12.50's (with 3 centre blocks) are nothing like as aggressive, and don't dig or self clean, as the tread is not open enough. 35x11.50 or 35x10.50 are both good sizes for the defender.

c) the more clearence under the diff the better really... 35's are a good choice though.

d) Simex are new tyres rather than remoulds so generally come up about right on the sizes.

Just to address one of your other comments - if you are running std LR axles, then you will still break shafts, cv's and diffs with this pattern quite easily, as it s their tendency to grab suddenly that does it....

just my 2p..

Mark

what about the silverstone mt-117 extreme challenger are selling them and as they are also made in malyasia like the simex there new tyres not retreads as as devon 4x4 have not got the sole rights to sell them there cheep like the budgie!

Where can you buy these from in the UK please ? i've got a friend after some 35's.

G

I used to run the 36" simex and they also fitted the notorious club off road 35" tyre guage,even though as Adrian says the 35" is very close to the limit :blink:

The 35 has a more open pattern but the 36 can be modded with a tyre cutter to improve its center tread although i could never bring myself to attack a £200+ tyre with the cutter :D

Paul :)

post-839-0-75067200-1295914436_thumb.jpg

post-839-0-07207700-1295914451_thumb.jpg

How do people cut tyres if I was to do this... hot wire i guess, but what tool do ppl find work (if anyone has done it)

Pete

You cut them with a tool called a tyre regroover it works on the same priciple as a piece of heated up wire but with propper blades that heat up when pressure is applied, it is a very borring job to do trust me!

or a wood chisel & blowtorch

typical rough arse approach mike

bear in mind that its illegal to use a recut tyre on the road unless it was made for regroving, like a truck or coach tire.

we have cut the tread off on a few tires and it did make a small difference to grip levels, in the same way as airing down the boggers to 6 psi (with beadlocks)helps in soft ground but is no good in rocks and tree stumps

is no good in rocks and tree stumps

how do you mean they are no good on rocks and stumps? too soft because they have been cut, or the treat pattern wound be as good.

im thought about cutting them as, lets face it, most things in britian are muddy...

Beadlockers are also no good for the road, but the amount of miles i do, should be fine (touch wood) as its only to get in/around sites, otherwise its on a trailer.