300tdi needs better performance

Hello

I have a 300tdi 110 that has done around 90,000 miles. I was hoping to tickle a little more power outa the old beast but have been told that trying may give mixed results.

I was thinking bigger intercooler tweeking the injector pump, bigger tyres , bigger turbo??

What do you think...

Thanks

Alan

Hello

I have a 300tdi 110 that has done around 90,000 miles. I was hoping to tickle a little more power outa the old beast but have been told that trying may give mixed results.

I was thinking bigger intercooler tweeking the injector pump, bigger tyres , bigger turbo??

What do you think...

Thanks

Alan

I have done some of that (not turbo) with very satisfactory results. I'd add deletion of EGR valve and clean gunk out of ports and inlet manifold, replacement of catalyst, replacement of intercooler pipe with dent in it, and maybe an injector service or replacement unless they've been done. Service it and replace the lift pump if dodgy. If you want to raise the gearing a disco transfer box might be cheaper than replacing wheels and tyres, and is easier on your brakes. I don't think mine uses more fuel, and it is much more pleasant to drive. Went up an insurance group.

Nigel

The standard injector timing on a 300Tdi with new cam belt is normally about 3° advanced. The engines run much better with 10° advance. The only problem is you need a fancy diesel timing kit which is expensive. Snap-on made the one we use.

• 3 months later...

A quick Hijack on this post - I have read the above thread(s) with interest and was wondering about how to fit a bigger intercooler if not going for the expensive bespoke defender models.....There are 2 struts that support the bonnet latch mechanism in front of the rad....can these be safly removed....easily relocated in order to accomodate a biiger intercooler? Also as I have a 300tdi with no A/C i assume the best size (thickness) intercooler would be 76/80mm with 3' inlets / outlets? Any sugestions or advice appreciated!