300 Glowplug relay wiring Puzzle

Mo Murphy

Looking at the Rave wiring diagram for the glow plug relay, it has main feed in and out, an earth, a warning light wire and a switching wire from the ignition switch. This is a conventional wiring setup for a relay. However, the relay also has a supply from the starter motor relay. What is this for and do I need it ?

glowplug.jpg

TIA

Mo

I don't know for certain, but does the wire from the ignition switch not just suppy the trigger for the relay, and the main feed to the relay>plugs come from the pole on the starter motor?

Thats how I have mine set up, but I have a diesel conversion and put the relay on myself, so not factory, however the wiring loom that came with it (from 200tdi disco)seemed to support my theory.

On my old 2.5NA, the ignition switch fed the glow plugs directly, taking it's feed from the starter motor pole - necessary as there was no timer relay, and you just hold the key over for as long as you need before firing up - but it seemed a poor design to me, and in fact caused a massive dash fire when the switch came a little loose once and the glow plug terminal grounded out on the steering column :o

Description of glowplug operation from Defender 300tdi manual: Glowplugs are fitted to the TDi engine to assist starting. A constant battery feed

is supplied by fusible link 3 (C907-3) to the glow plug timer (C189-5) on a

brown wire. When the ignition switch is turned to position "II", a second feed is

supplied to the glow plug timer (C189-3). This triggers a feed (C189-6) to the

glow plugs.

With the ignition switch in position "II", the glow plug warning lamp (C230-4) is

provided a feed via fuse 17 (C580-33) of the passenger compartment fuse box

on a white wire. The warning lamp (C233-10) is connected to the glow plug

timer (C189-2) by a yellow/black wire.

When the glow plug timer provides a feed for the glow plugs (C189-6), it

simultaneously provides an earth path (C189-4) for the warning lamp. After a

set period, feed to the glow plugs, and the earth path for the warning lamp are

cut; extinguishing the warning lamp.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your replies Gents :)

Since I always wait for the glow plug dash warning light to go out before cranking, and that the relay itself is a timer unit, I would imagine then that this supply is superfluous and could be left off.

Anyone else care to confirm that I could leave the red/white supply from the starter relay off the relay ?

Mo

The 300tdi keeps the glow plugs on for a short time after the engine has started to reduce the cold start emissions. That's why it has a relay and does not just rely on the manual operation of the glow plug position on the ignition switch like the 2.5TD did. I guess the link to the starter solenoid is to provide a signal which starts the timer running for the glow plugs for the period which they stay on after the engine has started.

Nick.