300TDI with EDC into Defender

stobbie

I am just about to, starting tuesday , could be a problem or two ahead, eg elec speedo drive on disco , is it compatible with defender elec speedo ? , does the edc need the speedo input as well ? How much of the edc is interfaced with immobiliser etc any answers appreciated.

I am just about to, starting tuesday , could be a problem or two ahead, eg elec speedo drive on disco , is it compatible with defender elec speedo ? , does the edc need the speedo input as well ? How much of the edc is interfaced with immobiliser etc any answers appreciated.

Have replied to PM biggrin.gif

The Discovery speedo transducer sadly isn't compatible with the TD5 speedo head. I tried it when I fitted the TD5 instruments in mine and had to buy a TD5 Transducer to make it work. To be honest, as someone who is an electronics engineer and has worked as an Auto electrician I would say their is far less work in converting the fuelling from Electronic to manual than trying to install the EDC into a 90. However if that is what you want to do it shouldn't be to tricky to transfer all the electronics over from the Discovery, I suspect the worst bit will be removing the complete engine loom from the Discovery as it goes to lots of different places in and around the body/dashboard (I ended up cutting lots of it to remove it when I scrapped the Discovery but I was only salvaging the wire for later use not to transfer it to the 90).

Some of the immobilisation is controlled by the EDC ECU and some by the 10AS alarm unit. The alarm bit is reasonably easy to bypass if you have access to the RAVE wiring diagrams. I don't know if the EDC uses the speedo input but would suspect it does.

Best of luck.

Pete.

Thanks for all the info Pete, I want to stay with the edc , as it compensates for the power loss in running an auto, and its for my daughter who is a new driver so the engine protection facility is another plus point. It also will hopefully provide a bit better level of security , if I can get that to transfer over as well . I am hoping to "blend" the two vehicle harnesses , stripping out a lot that wont be needed from the disco harness, the 90 harness is pretty basic anyhow. Re speedo , I am thinking along the lines of building the internals of the disco into the 90 head unit, as a last resort. Any others suggestions gratefully recieved :unsure:;)

(snip) I want to stay with the edc , as it compensates for the power loss in running an auto. (snip)

To be honest with a small tweak to the mechanical pump I found the performance better without EDC than with (I had driven the Discovery for around a year before I changed to the mechanical pump).

Pete.

300Tdi speedo is mechanical drive - cable from rear end of the transfer box - so should be the same whether Disco or Defender transfer box.

Not on the EDC Auto Discovery it's not. Absolutely sure of this having owned a 300TDi Auto Discovery with EDC for a number of years.

Pete

Not on the EDC Auto Discovery it's not. Absolutely sure of this having owned a 300TDi Auto Discovery with EDC for a number of years.

Pete

Sorry, should have phrased the reply better - brain probably in neutral after a numbing week.

300Tdi Defender has a cable drive speedo. The fitting on the Disco transfer box will be the same, once the electronic transducer is removed. Defender speedo cable will fit (with the addition of the retaining clamp).

Sorry, should have phrased the reply better - brain probably in neutral after a numbing week.

300Tdi Defender has a cable drive speedo. The fitting on the Disco transfer box will be the same, once the electronic transducer is removed. Defender speedo cable will fit (with the addition of the retaining clamp).

Ahh, I see what you were getting at now. I agree the two can definately be interchanged with the correct clamps and bolts.

Pete.

• 4 months later...

Well it took a bit of sorting , but have done it , fitted 300tdi auto with EDC out of discovery into 90 and have ended up with blipper immobiliser as a bonus . If anyone is trying to do same i can help with wiring info, and a few other tips :lol:

MrKev are you saying what elec speedo drive to fit, or it has elec speedo drive and you want compatability for speedo?

I think MrKev is saying that a non-edc 300TDI Discovery has an electronic speedo sender.

However it will be the same one fitted to the EDC ones which doesn't work with the TD5 dash, but can be replaced either with the cable to drive the standard defender speedo head or the TD5 electronic sender to drive the TD5 speedo head.

Pete

• 7 years later...
On 6/20/2011 at 3:44 PM, tacr2man said:

Well it took a bit of sorting , but have done it , fitted 300tdi auto with EDC out of discovery into 90 and have ended up with blipper immobiliser as a bonus . If anyone is trying to do same i can help with wiring info, and a few other tips :lol:

After searching High and Low for someone who has done this before I stumble @tacr2man post 9 years later. I bought a 300tdi engine complete with pump etc to fit on my 110 and lo and behold on delivery noticed its the EDC. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. I am using the existing setup due to budget contsraints as I will need to change pump, pipes and injectors to VE. Any experiences will be greatly appreciated

On 1/29/2011 at 10:03 PM, DaveSIIA said:

No, the square hole where the speedo cable end goes in doesn't fit. The Disco hole is smaller.

You can easily change over the speedo drive gear from the transfer case of a defender, if you have it, or buy a new speedo drive gear if you don't have it.

The TD5 transducer is the same size as defender cable, so that doesn't fit either, without changing the speedo drive.

T

On 1/30/2019 at 8:07 PM, EddieZW said:

After searching High and Low for someone who has done this before I stumble @tacr2man post 9 years later. I bought a 300tdi engine complete with pump etc to fit on my 110 and lo and behold on delivery noticed its the EDC. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. I am using the existing setup due to budget contsraints as I will need to change pump, pipes and injectors to VE. Any experiences will be greatly appreciated

You can use your existing injectors and pipes even with a mechanical pump.

There is a guy in Iceland who is building an aftermarket controller for the electronic pump. I am going that route I think...

T

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 3:23 PM, Tobias said:

You can use your existing injectors and pipes even with a mechanical pump.

There is a guy in Iceland who is building an aftermarket controller for the electronic pump. I am going that route I think...

T

Great could you link me up with guy - also let me know how your build is going I have sort o put it on hold until I get my head round it