Disco M reg

DefcoL

Good morning,

Never worked on disco's before yesterday, Changed the turret & all went ok except for a stud taking flight :( still three is better than none :)

so I am unsure of how to adjust Front wheel bearings

I'm sure they need doing as there was a lot of play.

Any one got any pics on this? what tools are needed?

TIA

Lawrence

If there is a lot of play they are probably knackered. I don't have time to post full instructions at the moment but I think it is on here somewhere if you do a search, try International and Defender forums too, all the same technique :)

You will need basic tools (sockets etc) plus a 52mm hub nut spanner

Or tech archive. Les did a thread on changing the swivel seal or something that involved a full hub strip and bearing replace. You won't need it all but its got the info and lots of pics.

Or tech archive. Les did a thread on changing the swivel seal or something that involved a full hub strip and bearing replace. You won't need it all but its got the info and lots of pics.

Thanks for that, have read the tec arc'v ..................

very well done Les and informative photo's to boot.... just brilliant :)

might even tackle a strip down and regrease (not ot) :lol:

as was concerned at deep rust colour in hub. also the drive shaft seemed to be far too hot

or is it normal for them to run very hot?

much ta'

Lawrence

as was concerned at deep rust colour in hub. also the drive shaft seemed to be far too hot

or is it normal for them to run very hot?

Not too hot no! If you can see red rusty gunge then if nothing else it desperately needs cleaning and lots of grease.... but if there is any doubt (slightly noisy bearing for example) then change it as it'll let you down sooner rather than later. A delicate wheel bearing rumble rapidly becomes an Fing great big one!

Not too hot no! If you can see red rusty gunge then if nothing else it desperately needs cleaning and lots of grease.... but if there is any doubt (slightly noisy bearing for example) then change it as it'll let you down sooner rather than later. A delicate wheel bearing rumble rapidly becomes an Fing great big one!

I adjusted the wheel bearings as they seemed a bit too loose . I have some experiance as was a commercial fitter back in the 70's (also worked on LR's)

but stopped that line of work after big RTA....1977

So the deep rust was more like a burnt copperslip that had coagulated and formed

a crumbly paste semi solid to the touch as though had been mixed with a soft bakerlite..... sad.gif

I duely wiped out crud,wound up the nut (Hand tight ) and released it 2/3 of a hex to give about three/four mm play at tyre outer edge. But now want to do a complete stripdown

and repack with grease although this will have too wait a week or so....

Lawrence

If in any doubt replace it, and the seal(s), if it fails big time (and they do) the wheel locks and the inner race welds to the stub axle.

yep been there done that, but it was in a zook. went from the slow lane to the center resivation without warning too, lucky it was the only time that year i wasnt being overtaken!

yep, played that game... front wheel bearing completely colapsed at 60mph on the M25... went from centre lane to hard shoulder in about .5 of a second without touching the steering wheel... when i got it apart the inner bearing track was welded to the stubb axle... had to buy a new stubb as it was wrecked... :(:angry:

you should feel hardly any play at the outside edge of the tyre, as Geoff said, 1mm at most.... whenever you strip down wheel bearings, fit a new seal, they are only about 3 quid (dont use Britpart ones.. total carp) and use a decent grease, i found JCB blue grease is excellent, realy sticky and keeps the water out....

3 to 4mm of play is to much, .5 to 1mm is better.

If in any doubt replace it, and the seal(s), if it fails big time (and they do) the wheel locks and the inner race welds to the stub axle. A complete kit is about £20.

Geoff

yep been there done that, but it was in a zook. went from the slow lane to the center resivation without warning too, lucky it was the only time that year i wasnt being overtaken!
yep, played that game... front wheel bearing completely colapsed at 60mph on the M25... went from centre lane to hard shoulder in about .5 of a second without touching the steering wheel... when i got it apart the inner bearing track was welded to the stubb axle... had to buy a new stubb as it was wrecked... :(:angry:

you should feel hardly any play at the outside edge of the tyre, as Geoff said, 1mm at most.... whenever you strip down wheel bearings, fit a new seal, they are only about 3 quid (dont use Britpart ones.. total carp) and use a decent grease, i found JCB blue grease is excellent, realy sticky and keeps the water out....

Thanks you have made me think again bout me stra jetty...... might not take it to Rusper this sunday will take 110 instead unless i can get it done......... definately dont like the idea of hyper-drive to an unknowen shoulder---- sounds too much like scarrymovie trip :o

Ta muchly

Lawrence