Ordering spares for 8274's

SteveG

Hello all

If any of you own an 8274, you'll know how expensive the service kits and other spares are here in the UK. Last summer I ordered a Warn Brake Service Kit from Phil at PG Winches (Phil warned me how expensive they were before I ordered) and at 86 pounds including shipping and VAT it's not cheap! :rolleyes: It seems that's it's Arbil the Warn distributor that is keeping the prices of these so high! :angry:

So when it came to order one for the 8274 I recently bought I thought I'd look around for alternatives and prices in US. Well the cheapest source in the UK for a Brake Service kit is muddytrout at 60 pounds plus P&P. It seems that no third party has an alternative, although once equivalent bearings etc are sourced it seems that it would be straight forward to make one up. Jim at Gigglepin is looking into this and hopes to offer one soon, I assume with his own uprated brake pads.

In the meantime, I found a site in the US where you can order all Warn spares online. Even if you had it shipped to UK and paid the Delivery and VAT you'd still be paying less. It works out roughly 32.50 pounds for the Brake Service Kit and 12.50 for the lower housing kit (39 pounds if bought in UK). btw Warn XP motors work out about 150 pounds before shipping. I'm sure if someone wanted to bulk order you could get a discount.

Just in case it's of any use to anyone else here's the site..

http://www.warnserviceparts.com/default.asp

Cheers

Steve :)

Nice one Steve. Very useful. What is the difference between the standard Parts and the CE Part which they refer to as European, and cannot be ordered on the web? Your winch came from the Staes anyway, but is it likely that the US (non-CE) parts will fit our UK or EU supplied winches?

Well Done, Steve. As you say the prices are rediculously high. I'm looking at the feasibility of having tefolon coated ball bearings made for the brake to try and combat the problems of corrosion and also a better alternative lower seal for the drum. I might have a word with Jim about both of those....

I'm looking at the feasibility of having tefolon coated ball bearings made for the brake to try and combat the problems of corrosion

i think SKF might do rust proof, or some other kind of corrosion proof bearings... have a look at their website.... you can contact them with an application and they come up with some ideas.... the ceramic ones look cool........

Nice one Steve. Very useful. What is the difference between the standard Parts and the CE Part which they refer to as European, and cannot be ordered on the web? Your winch came from the Staes anyway, but is it likely that the US (non-CE) parts will fit our UK or EU supplied winches?

None as far as I know. UK supplied winches are exactly the same and it serial number that determine what spares you need. btw the two service kits are the same for every 8274.

Will - If you want non rusting ones why not fit BRASS BALLS! ;););););):P

Cheers

Steve :)

Guest diesel_jim
. What is the difference between the standard Parts and the CE Part which they refer to as European, and cannot be ordered on the web? Your winch came from the Staes anyway, but is it likely that the US (non-CE) parts will fit our UK or EU supplied winches?

A few years back, i bought back an 8274 also from the US (as hand luggage!!! :D you should have seen the air stewardess's face as she tried to lift the box into the overhead compartment! :D:lol: )

anyway, during the several times irebuilt the brakes,bearings etc, it seemed to be exactly the same as any Euro/UK type winch i saw.

i suspect the CE bit means that we get Charged the Eeath for spares??