200, 300 ??

Can't see why it wouldn't to be honest the 300 does lend itself to being put in a series bay better mainly cos if the turbo placement and the serp belt setup is a better idea IMO.

hmm, this is my thinking.

Im begging to prefer the 300tdi's now, they are cheaper to buy, seem to be more refined as well.

and as you say the exhaust routing should be alot better.

I guess i need to get one made up :)

what is the defender setup? sorry if i gave false hope there :(

edit: cant you just put a 200TDi oil filter housing on the 300 to get round this problem anyway? isnt that all thats fouling, i know for a fact an earlier 2.25d/p/2.5d/p oil filter housing bolts directly to a 200 block.

what is the defender setup? sorry if i gave false hope there :(

edit: cant you just put a 200TDi oil filter housing on the 300 to get round this problem anyway? isnt that all thats fouling, i know for a fact an earlier 2.25d/p/2.5d/p oil filter housing bolts directly to a 200 block.

Nope oil filter head is compeletly different on a 300tdi.

Thanks for the replies. Im going to use the original gearbox. I just need to find all the bits to do the conversion now i guess.

oh and sorry for putting in the wrong place.

The original gearbox will go boom within two years.... Can't handle the extra torque. Plus the gearing is carp for the motorway. Get the box that was with the engine.

The original gearbox will go boom within two years.... Can't handle the extra torque. Plus the gearing is carp for the motorway. Get the box that was with the engine.

thats not nessicarily true, it entirely depends on gearbox condition, maintenance, driving style, mechanical sympathy, the amount of towing and how often, and many other factors, i know of poeple who have blown multiple R380's in the same time i have not blown my series box. they think the clutch pedal and the accelerator is a switch though.

i find its the series pressure plate that cant hack the torque, or a standard discovery one for that matter, i have to get a HD pressure plate in order for it to last.

simply not true.

i have had my 200 for 3 or so years! and all i have done it break the over drive, but i was off road and it way my fault!!!

i have bigger tyres and 3.54 RRC diffs, with OD i cruise at 70 - 80 and its lovely :)

My gearbox was rebuilt a year before the tdi, and with regular oil checks its fine, Im sure that if i drove it off the lights flat out EVERY time it would go bang, but then again so do most cars!!!!

I dont want the newer box as i have a galvy chassis and dont wanna cut it!

Plus the whole 200000000 gear sticks is part of the whole 'series ' experience' !!!!

• Like 1

simply not true.

i have had my 200 for 3 or so years! and all i have done it break the over drive, but i was off road and it way my fault!!!

i have bigger tyres and 3.54 RRC diffs, with OD i cruise at 70 - 80 and its lovely :)

My gearbox was rebuilt a year before the tdi, and with regular oil checks its fine, Im sure that if i drove it off the lights flat out EVERY time it would go bang, but then again so do most cars!!!!

Plus the whole 200000000 gear sticks is part of the whole 'series ' experience' !!!!

here here. i even went to the extent of extending my overdrive lever to the samr height as main gear lever for increased awesomeness and single handed twin stickage.

you do get some funny looks when you go out beemer pushing in the fast lane too!

simply not true.

What suffix is the gearbox? How many miles have you done?

I probably should have been more precise in my first post....

If the LT77 is a "G" suffix, it should be fine. An "F" might last, but earlier ones can't handle the torque.

The other problem is the 0.83:1 5th, which makes running at speed not nice. All in all, it is always better to get the "H" box that came from the factory with the 200TDI as it is stronger and has the better 0.77:1 5th gear.

• 3 months later...

Missis gave me the money to buy a '98 Disco with a 300TDi engine in and thanks to all who have shared advice here i will soon be transplanting it into my '90 110 CSW. Foggy,you are a star :-)

No problem, glad the info is of some use to you! :i-m_so_happy:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

hi foggy was this bracket used with the lr77 or a r380? and if a 380 then was it in the factory fitted or with the engine further, as i have a 300 and a r380 im putting in and im wantint to put them up on the orgininal lr77 mounts which will move the engine backwards but i dont know how far thanks rob

On 1/5/2015 at 9:44 PM, Red90 said:

That is clearly your opinion John, which I do not agree with. I had the original series transmission behind the 300 for approx 5 years only to get rid of it because I was fed up with the constant leaking which was destroying my paved driveway. It is the driver who will determine the fate of the transmission. ;)

• Like 2