200 Tdi water pump belt

Hi guys and girls..

I have a defender 90 200Tdi on a 91 plate, it keeps chewing alternator / water pump belts up. I have noticed that the pully's dont align. ie the water pump sits a good 1/4" back from the crank pully. The crank pully is all inline with the P/s pully so presuming it's ok. Q: are the pumps the same for the disco 200 Tdi, the numbers on the pump are HRC 1278. or can you get shims to bring the water pump pully inline... any sugestions greatly appreciated..

Ps i have not had the vehicle long so dont know the history

Steve

HRC1278 is NOT a part number, just a bare unmachined casting number.

Defender 200tdi water pump is STC639 if the vehicle is a factory built 200tdi & not a Discovery 200Tdi conversion

Disco 200tdi water pump is RTC6395 totally different.

For my Defender spec 200tdi I use water pump/alternator belt LR part ETC7939 or Dayco part 11A1025C

& Power steering pump belt LR part ETC5815 or Dayco 13A0725C.

very much doubt a discovery water pump would fit, it's a different shape to the defender pump, maybe the pulley has been moved back or not been fitted correctly when the pump was made.

you should have pulley item 5 on page 232 fitted

on the crank if you have a 3 groove pulley, the PAS pump belt should be in the front groove & water pump/alternator in the rear most groove, the centre groove is for the air condition pump [when fitted] see my photo's below, this might be the problem.

post-20-0-87014600-1296155525_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-61451700-1296155539_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-82858200-1296155546_thumb.jpg

very much doubt a discovery water pump would fit, it's a different shape to the defender pump, maybe the pulley has been moved back or not been fitted correctly when the pump was made.

you should have pulley item 5 on page 232 fitted

on the crank if you have a 3 groove pulley, the PAS pump belt should be in the front groove & water pump/alternator in the rear most groove, the centre groove is for the air condition pump [when fitted] see my photo's below, this might be the problem.

The pully i have only has 2 grooves for belts... Mmmm sounds like it could be the prob.. got to go into M+M tomm for gaskets for timming casings.. will see if they have a pully to compare with.. thanks for your help..

Steve

This is a bit of an odd one. If you had a Discovery crank pulley, it would be pretty obvious something was wrong as it has only one groove and that sits well forwards. As mentioned, the water pumps are completely different, so you can't have a Discovery unit on there.

There is a possibility that the water pump has the wrong pulley, since this is the only one out of line, but as I recall, the Defender pump pulley has four bolts while the Discovery pulley has only three and has a very different shape. The timing case and water pump of the Defender 200Tdi are very similar but not necessarily identical to the 12 and 19J engines, and it may be possible that a 19J pump has been fitted and that hey have different pulley alignments (though I doubt they differed - I would expect their parts to be the same as the engines share the same crank shaft, PAS pump, alternator and mounting brackets). It's worth enquiring with a parts dealer to see if the 19J and Def200Tdi have different part numbers for their pumps or pump pulleys, though.

My bet would be on a dodgy pattern part water pump made with too short a spindle or the pump pulley from another engine being fitted, possible a Series' 2.25 engine.

• 8 years later...

On a 200tdi defender spec engine the alternator vee pulley should align with the rearmost groove on crank pulley, centre groove is for air con pump, forward groove for pas pump, make sure the alternator bolt lugs are forward of the engine bracket lugs.