300Tdi rough to start

Having a bit of trouble with my 96 defender 300tdi. It's having some trouble starting, it takes 4 or 5 attempts to get it going, it sounds like it wants to go but instantly dies. I have checked all the glow plugs and only 1 needed replacing which I've done. It doesn't seem to matter if it's hot or cold. Any ideas?? I'm also having trouble with the steering. The steering box was leaking from what I think is the rack & pinion adjuster (big flat bladed screw driver fitting on the side of the box) so I removed it and put some PTFE tape on then put it back again but since I did that I can't get my steering right, It's either floaty and all over the road or feels like I've got cement in the steering system. The box is only 2 years old and it's a reconditioned one.

If it doesn't start 1st thing in the morning but is usually ok for the rest of the day, it is probably the lift pump which is failing. The internal valves go allowing the fuel to drain back overnight. Had the same problem on mine a few years back.