Manufacturing quality

Does anyone know whether manufacturing quality (particularly in relation to anti-corrosion treatment) has changed on Defenders over the last few years? For example, would there be any difference between a 2006 TD5 and a 2007 TDCi? Or between a 2002 TD5 and a 2006 TD5? I'm wondering whether there are particular model years to aim for, if looking for a long-term buy. Thanks.

I'll agree with the undersealing, a friend of mine has an 08 puma and the underneath is covered in surface rust already...

Haven't noticed anything else different really, but if it's made by Landrover you can bet it'll bend, break or rust sooner rather than later!

Doors are better I think yes, certainly the rear door, but the later Td5s had those anyway. I've heard that the chassis are thinner steel than they were in the pre-Td5 days too, not just in the rear crossmember but throughout. And lower-quality too.

I've also been told that the aluminium body panels on the late 80s models were thicker and stronger built than those used from the 90s (Tdi) onwards, but if you're looking at later models anyway then that's not an issue.

Personally, if I was to buy a Defender without money being an issue I'd buy a late Td5 and have it waxoyled/undersealed etc. as I don't like a lot of the aspects of the Puma vehicles.