300tdi heating problems

I've been battling to get our heater working for a few weeks now, it ran dry in december when the waterpump and gasket went. after fitting a new pump and doing the P gasket as well, it seemed to work well for a few days but then kept going cold intermittently.

I've just fitted a new thermostat and filled the coolant as it was empty again, but to no avail.

after a drive around tonight to get it up to temperature, it went warm very briefly, but then went cold again.

It's had good antifreeze in it all winter so i doubt the heads cracked, and i can't see anything leaking from anywhere either.

Any ideas please? :(

No i haven't done that, i didn't realise it needed bleeding, though it makes sense! is there any particular tube to loosen? i can't think at the moment how many tubes go into it!

if i'm lucky, i'll get it working by summer!

Be sensible, get the engine warm but not scalding hot! With the engine running carefully slacken each hose at the heater end one at a time (you only want the air and a little coolant to escape, not blow the hose off :) ). You will probably get some air out before any coolant escapes, that's good. Just be careful and give it a go, it's how we all learn :) and keep an eye on the surge tank coolant level.

If this doesn't work then back to the drawing board.

HTH

Mo