Can I drive at 70mph without killing my 110?

Experience needed!

My 1988 110 200tdi will whiz along at 85 if pushed (just tried it once) but the other day I was taking my mate to pick up some bits and cruising in 5th at 70mph and he said I should never go above 60 or I will shake the diffs and gearboxes up so much the seals will not last long and wee all their oil out in no time.... :o

He seemed pretty serious..?

Is this true, I might as well have brought a N/A if I cannot cruise at 70-75mph... :(

Ask your mate this: Are the vibrations going to be worse from

a) driving along a metalled road at 70 mph; or

b) driving along dirt track full of 2 foot deep potholes, large rocks, deep pockets of mud and overhanging trees?

The second answer is where the truck was intended and designed to go. ;)

Just regular maintenance needed and I'm sure you will be ok :)

As an aside, I usually 'cruise' at 60-65mph on motorways/dual-carriageways. Not because it won't go faster (it will and does for overtaking) but because at anything at above that sort of speed it's A. very noisy and B. horrendously bad on fuel consumption.

We regularly take up and down motorways and the 'happy' speed seems to be 60-65mph. As said above it will go faster but I can hear members of Opec rubbing their hands in glee :ph34r: There are no worries in doing a bit of a blat now and again. Cleans the cobwebs out :P

Also check your real speed with a GPS - most Defenders over read 10% so you may well be going a fair bit slower than you believe.

Have done at 70 speedo reads about 68...wavers a bit another job on the list is a new cable....:-)

Voice box in sphincter time methinks, being a lover of wives tales I take my 90 out for a blast along her majesty's car parks once a month cos i was told pootling around is not too good for a diesel. funnily enuf the Saab dealer said the same when we picked up the missis's toy.

So I plough across into sunny (Ha Ha Ha) lancashire, have a widdle, and come back. the defender happily sits at 75-80 and can reach 90 on a downhill if i've taken enuf Valium to counteract the stress inducing vagueness of the steering.

the only thing I do find strange is that the speedo above 50 seems to do a bit of a wobble about the speed it's moving then jumps up 5mph and then starts the whole sequence again till dizzy heights of 85 are reached. Is this normal? Not too concerned as company car is usually weapon of choice on motorways.

Well had a nice blast at 70 tonight with my little son, he loves the fact that currently he gets to sit in the front of this one :-) guess he is in no rush to see my put the rear seats in.... ;)

BUT I must say, sound deadening it right up there with derusting and painting for the spring....

Thanks all,

Gary.

a) driving along a metalled road at 70 mph; or

b) driving along dirt track full of 2 foot deep potholes, large rocks, deep pockets of mud and overhanging trees?

c)

:P

Drivetrain has no problems, it does however cost me a set of door hinges per trip :blink:

(And with my gearing, 70mph sees the props, transfer & gearbox doing what would be 100mph in a Range Rover - for 24 hours straight sometimes)