Bosch(?) alternator wiring query

02GF74

Google is a wonderful thing:

Your colors may vary, but my vehicle had the following colors:

Thick brown wire (battery lead), goes to alternator battery stud (Bat). I replaced it with a 4 ga. red wire to the firewall terminal.

Brown with yellow stripe goes to D+ on Bosch alternator (dash light).

White with slate stripe goes to W on Bosch alternator (tach lead).

http://www.rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/elec...alternator.html

actually I knew that as well but it is a start. so

W rev counter

B+ I would reckon is the main output, judging by the size of the connector

+ I would guess is charge lamp

D+ hmmmm?????? dunno (battery voltage sense? connects to +ve of battery?)

have found that D+ is charge lamp, so then what is + ????

Probably for connecting a radio suppressor

Regards,

Diff

so it is:

W rev counter

B+ I would reckon is the main output, judging by the size of the connector

+ radio suppressor, can leave uc

D+ charge lamp

yes?

Yes:

W+ : rev counter

B+ : Main output - normally connected directly to the positive terminal on starter solenoid. From there there should be a thick gauge cable to the positive terminal on the battery

+ : Not to be used in a normal LR setup

D+ : Charge warning lamp. Actually the charge warning lamp is connected to the positiv terminal on the battery (from a ignition switched supply) and the D+ terminal on the alternator. When the engine is started current flows from the battery through the charge warning lamp through D+ on the alternator and from there through the windings to vehicle earth/ground/negative. This current is needed for the alternator to exide itself (field windings) so it can begin to produce current itself. When the alternator begins producing current the D + is producing current, and therefore sending current to the charge warning lamp. The charge waring lamp will then receive positiv current from both battery and D+ and will therefore not light up.

+ is the radio suppressor capacitor, connect between 1uF and 4uF to this terminal and connect the other end to earth. On most alternators + is internally connected to B+, a separate terminal is just provided for convenience. Suppressor caps usually come with a lucar blade terminal to connect to + and a earthed tag which is fitted under one of the body through bolts.

Only really needed for AM interference suppression, doesn't do much on FM and absolutely nothing on digitial!!

Only really needed for AM interference suppression, doesn't do much on FM and absolutely nothing on digitial!!

So that is why my attempts to listen to The Archers on AM while in nothern France last weekend were thwarted? It transpired, too late, that I was still able to get Radio 4 on FM! :( D'OH!

Chris