bio-fuel

Jamest535

I've just found a biodiesel supplier in rowley regis west midlands.

straight from the pump 72p per litre

More details please!

That's not far from me - I'm a couple of junctions down the M5 in Northfield.

Pls tell more - I'm round the corner in oldbury. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

First post - be gentle!!

Just bought a Defender 90 200tdi (L-reg). I'm very interested in using some sort of vegetable oil fuel, whether SVO, WVO or UCO. Many of the articles I've read say that a Bosch fuel pump is needed as lesser ones won't cope - is this what is fitted to my engine (I've had a quick look but can't see anything written on the pump)? If not, what are the consequences likely to be of using alternative fuels?

upto about 65% chipfat mixed with diesel & it'll run sweet. well mine has for over a year now. you'll get a nice smell that makes you feel hungry though & a small increase in the smoke output.

when i go back to diesel for whatever reason im sure it runs hotter on diesel & has less bottom end power.

in cold weather you'll have to reduce the amount of fat to prevent it running rough, particulary at startup. i find about 40% is the limit in frost, you'll have to experiment to find what works best though. my engine is quite well performance tweaked too so that may affect how it reacts to fat.

when/if you do try chipfat carry a spare fuel filter. after about 500-800miles your car will go rough & lack power. change the filter & all will be fine. what happens is the chipfat being thicker pulls the dirt from the tank & pipes through the system & fills the filter up.

i got a lot of good advice & info about running SVO (id go WVO but nowhere to process) from http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

i use new stuff from sainsburys, collecting nectar points.

used oil is better if you treat it correctly as the heat thins it permenatly so you can use more of it in cooler weather. however you need to stand it for a month, filter it, stand it & filter it before use. im currently in a studio flat with no garden or garage so no room to do that. i dont know what to filter it with either, have a look at the forum i suggested earlier there is a lot of info there if your really interested in it.

oh & yes, sit in the garage thinking chips, or when driving thinking chips or follow the car down the road thinking chips...it really does smell like a chippy. personally i prefer that to the traditional diesel stink so i see it as a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just a observation...

on this forum (which I'm new too) and others people seem to start a thread with Bio Diesel and end up on Veggie oil discussion ...

Bio fuel from a pump is not the same at all as either new or re-used chip fat.....

Bio has a lower tax rate on it than Derv..... nice of the government to shaft us on the sun flower oil !

although if running bio diesel with a mix of new oil from the supermarket I wonder if they could tell on a road side check??

bio-diesel is processed SVO/WVO as i understand it. you add something that removes something so its thinner & can run 100% of it not a mix with pump diesel.

the reason bio-diesel is cheaper on tax is cause you run 100% 100% of the time its a fuel not a fuel additive.

bio-diesel is processed SVO/WVO as i understand it. you add something that removes something so its thinner & can run 100% of it not a mix with pump diesel.

the reason bio-diesel is cheaper on tax is cause you run 100% 100% of the time its a fuel not a fuel additive.

Bio-diesel is made by a process called transesterification which tears apart the larger fat molecules.

• 3 months later...

sorry i'm late :huh:

i dont know if someone has posted these elsewhere but below are links to sites with lists of forecourts selling biodiesel all over the uk. there may be one near you :D

http://www.rixbiodiesel.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/alloutlets.htm

• 2 months later...
my tdi doesnt like more than 65% new veg oil, starts to loose revs above that mix. mind you its tweaked so that probably effects it. the main problem is chipfat is thicker so it doesnt burn as fast, or spray as well from the injectors. the actual mix you can run depends on the ambent temp, i run 60-65% all summer but have to drop to around 40% by the time we get frost. other wise it gets really rough & smokes like mad.

used chipfat is better if you have time/space to filter it as once its heated it breaks down the molicules so its thinner than new. you could also heat new oil & use that. i've never found an answer as to how hot/how long it needs though. unless you rigged up a barrel/old emersion tank to do it i cant see it being very practical either.

as far as i know bio-diesel you can run 100%, its still effectivly diesel just from a different base stock. if you couldnt run it 100% would any garages sell it? cant expect the average driver to understand fuel mixing etc, its not something you need to understand to drive normally is it?

I have run my 300 TDi on 100% biodiesel (remanufactured used chip fat) with no ill consequences. Ran absolutely fine. My supply has dried up for now, but plan to get back on it as soon as possible.

I also ran my Peugeot HDi on it until the low pressure pump disintegrated costing £500 to put right. The garage reckoned it was the biofuel, but I've since heard of many other disintegrated Bosch high pressure fuel systems (running on regular diesel), so, er, I think not.

The main problem with biodiesel and veg oil is the fuel filter. DO carry a new one at all times for the first bit. I needed to change mine at 500 miles, but its been fine ever since (including a sedimenter clean-up). The peugeot needed changing at 130, 600 and 3000 miles, but is now sorted. The biofuel does an excellent clean up job of the waxes that have attached themselves to the inside of your tank and fuel lines, so once thay are all clean, no problem.

Ivan

The quickest killer of Bosch pumps is ultra low sulpher diesel, as it has insufficient lubrication. Veg oil mixed with your diesel will solve this problem. First symptoms are the stop solenoid not working and being covered with swarf when you remove it.

I am running on filtered WVO from the chippy with a electric/water heat exchanger to warm the oil. I havent yet tried 100% veg oil though, but so far it runs like a dream on about 50% and most of the diesel rattle has gone. I am trying more and more oil until I find the ideal mix, although with the heater it should run at 100%. We will see!

The duty you pay is not dependant on whether you mix it or not, but on the quality of the fuel. If you can prove the cooking oil is of "diesel quality" has an ester content of not less than 96.5% by weight and sulpher content not more than 0.005% then it is bio diesel regardless of how thick it is or how you have refined it. If you cannot prove the quality then it is a "fuel substitute" and you pay the same duty as low sulpher diesel.

Obviously the quality of used oil varies a lot. I had some from a hotel which was mostly fat and water, but my local chippy changes the oil every week, and it has so far proved to be very clean. I only filter the oil once after letting it stand for a week and draining off any water and fat from the bottom of my storage tank

To keep it legal the paperwork is really easy. The guys that dip your tank at the side of the road can tell if you have any veg oil in your tank, so you must declare something each month. Also they can tell if you have heating oil in your tank and will throw the book at you!

The guys that dip your tank at the side of the road can tell if you have any veg oil in your tank, so you must declare something each month. Also they can tell if you have heating oil in your tank and will throw the book at you!

Surely it would be quite simple to put a pipe into the tank full of real diesel in case the dippers come along and plumb another filler into the tank that the barstewards can't see. So you fill up with whatever through your filler and let them dip the tank through the fake filler.